Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
If you ever end up in Minnesota >

If you ever end up in Minnesota

If you ever end up in Minnesota

Old 03-11-2012, 06:21 AM

Brainerd, MN not too far from there also has some lovely quilt shops. I love Grubers, but like everybody else spend way too much there when I go. I go the the LQS in Lonsdale, MN, and spend more than I should every time I walk into the store. They have an entire wall of nothing but batiks. And the staff there, at Quilting by the Hearth, are nothing short of stupendous in helping.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:26 AM

These all sound like great stores. I hope to get to Minnesota one day.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:08 PM

I'm going to Oak Grove MN in a few weeks and delighted to hear about shop in St. Cloud. If you're in Duluth, don't forget about Superior WI. They've got some terrific quilt shops too.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:50 PM

Love Grubers. I can spend 3 hours there too!
Old 03-13-2012, 09:26 AM

I want to move there just for that quilt shop!! I would be spending more time than money there.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:13 PM

Today I made DH detour/postpone/redirect our trip for my "only one quilt stop this time, honey, honest" request, and I chose SR Harris because it was about an hour less out of our way, their website looked great, and the reviews were so positive. I also wanted some additional fabric as well as quilting stock.
Sorry to say I was very disappointed. It was too difficult to find anything or see anything due to the way the fabrics were stacked. Ends of bolts only showing, and multiple bolts stacked one on top of the other made trying to pull a lower one out very difficult if not impossible. The aisles were narrow, and as several people were shopping, the multiple carts blocking the way was very frustrating. I walked out after about 15 minutes, feeling so disappointed. I have "warehouse" shopped before, but never somewhere that was such chaos. Oh well, lessons learned! My only saving hope is that DH will take pity on me and we will stop somewhere else for my fabric fix. I had planned a sewing mini-vacation with my best friend, and I was going to get some fabric for our planned projects.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by jmabby View Post
one place you should stop is at Grubers Quilt Shop - http://www.grubersquiltshop.com/index.htm
Everytime I go to St. Cloud I spend 2-3 hours there. The displays are wonderful, more fabrics than I have ever seen in any shop. I have bought many patterns from there, just because of their displays. They have a great coffee shop with the most delicious soup and chicken salad sandwiches. I'm not associated with this shop except that I spend lots of time there looking, shopping and wishing I had more money (and room).

When I was in Minnesota I also went to Grubers what a great place but if you think they have lots of fabric just go to Rosie's in San Dieago,Cal . I also visited Quilt Yourself in Savage Minn. not alot of fabric but you can rent time on the long arm.Sue and Janette are Very friendly. Great shops in Minn. Went to quilters cove also nice fabric there also