Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What is your favorite washing machine? >

What is your favorite washing machine?

What is your favorite washing machine?

Old 04-28-2012, 02:49 PM
Power Poster

I bought the GE Profile top loading washer because it has the handwashing cycle. My fabric does not ravel at all washed on that cycle, no threads to get all tangled up, and it's wonderful for washing quilts. There is no agitator. If you wash very soiled clothing this washer probably isn't the best for that. I use the handwashing cycle for all my dress clothes.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:20 PM

You need to put a filter system to get the iron out. That's what we had to do, plus I use OxyClean in every load. That does the trick.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by BMP View Post
All I can say is I hate front loaders, mine is just a few years old and I am getting rid of it !!!! I am going back to a top loader ! I must admit that the front loaders look nice but it ends there !
I am so glad someone else hates front loaders. I have had mine for at least 10 yrs and much to DH's angst I have maintained that when we move into the new house, I will be buying a new top loader.

Maybe1day
Old 04-28-2012, 03:36 PM

My brother just bought a new one and asked me to research. I research by customer reviews. .. We ended up with a Samsung Front loader and I have to say I love it. The old front loader always sounded like the end of the house was going to take flight when is was in the spin cycle. This one is totally quiet and it spins most clothes almost dry. I add borax to my load so the fact there is no where to put some thing like that is a little annoying but I haven't found it causes any problems just putting it in with the clothes. But the price made me choke. Over $900 but my brother did get the extended warranty from Lowes and we probably could have saved money if he didn't HAVE to have it the same day.. And it is a pretty dark grey blue color.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kath12 View Post
I have a GE front loader and I too hate it. It sometimes doesn't wring the water out of the clothes very good. Next time we are getting a HE top loader. As for "special" washing soap, I use the homemade Dugger recipe soap. It is low sudsing, low cost, and gets the clothes clean
I have a HE top loader and am not pleased at all it doesn't allow you to control water level and it doesn't seem to get enough water in it and sometimes clothes donot seem to be clean. Also towels get musty in real short order if not taken out right away, I sometimes add white vinegar to the towels and it helps some.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:08 PM

Just got a Maytag, with no agitator, DO NOT buy one like this! I hate it because it is so deep I can`t reach the clothes It forces the the water threw the clothes, which I think is hard on the clothes, as some of it is bunched together and when the machine is running it shakes the floor. I wanted to put a small foot stool by it so I could reach the clothes, but DH thinks I`ll fall in as there is no agitator in it and get hurt. I`ve only ever had Maytag since I`m married (54 yrs) and always
had very good luck, till now. Hate to think of it forcing rusty water through the clothes.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:25 PM

I have a front loader and it is OK. Can't soak anything tho. I have a quilt top i need to wash with synthropol(sp?) and am not sure if i can in the front loader.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:09 PM

I had a Maytag for 23 years, and the replacement is now about 11 years old - it is another Maytag, needless to say. I like the results from the front loader at my son's house well enough (don't remember what brand), but every time I go to wash or dry clothes I have to stand there and work my way through a whole slew of different options. It seems unnecessary. I use the same old cycle on my old machine for at least 95% of the loads, and the other cycles don't take 10 seconds to figure out. I guess I could get used to the front loader, but I'm not convinced it's better.

By the way, I love my Kenmore dryer, and the one before that was a Kenmore also. I don't believe in buying sets when the consumer reports don't give the best ratings to both items in the pair.

Really hard water is not a challenge I have had to face, so I don't have suggestions other than to talk to some of your neighbors and the dealer about how to prevent problems with the wash. He might try to sell you a water softener.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:51 AM

I hate my Maytag washer and dryer. They are about three years old and I've had nothing but trouble with both of them. I can only use one setting on the washer because it immediately gets off balance on the other cycles. I have to have big loads in the dryer or the barrel won't turn and the clothes just lay in a heap, getting hot and wrinkled. I sometimes wish they'd both just kick the bucket so I'd feel justified getting new ones
Old 04-29-2012, 05:37 AM

My Maytag dryer is from 1989! No kidding! Husband replaced the drying element a few years ago and that's it! My 2nd Maytag washer is 15 years old.