Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Boy, have I got a lot to learn! And could use some encouragement... >

Boy, have I got a lot to learn! And could use some encouragement...

Boy, have I got a lot to learn! And could use some encouragement...

Old 04-28-2012, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by ChildoftheUniverse View Post
I know I'm in the right spot. This block is for my first ever "real" quilt. I've made little things before but this will be an ambitious project for which I will need you all to keep me on track. This block was my trial run and as you can tell, needs a lot of adjustment with points and all. It's for a dorm room quilt for my gd and thank goodness she's just a junior in high school. She picked the pattern and fabric... I love the fabric and not real keen on the pattern... but we all do whatever for our grandbabes. Wish me luck and send some of your talent muses my way... I'm sure going to need all the help I can get. Thanks for looking...
My first quilt block was the Ohio Star. I did very badly (tossed it)!
So naturally, I decided to do the dreamweaver pattern next!
All I can say about it that everybody loved the colours. Let's not mentioned matching seams...

I think I needed that experience to know what I had to learn.
Eleanor Burns and her vimeo series (type: vimeo + eleanor burns in a search engine) helped a lot.
Now my seams match (most of the time anyway), and I have enrolled in some Craftsy courses ("Quick Strip Paper Piecing" and "How to Make a Large Quilt on a Small Machine".
I am getting better at free motion quilting as well. It takes a lot of practice.

A lot of practice, a lot of fun!
Never mind some points. Your gd won't notice.

I made my first dreamweaver block into a pillow case. (The piecing was not so good and the FM quilting atrocious.) Along came a 2-year old neighbor. He run toward the pillow, threw it on the floor and put his little butt on top of it. "Mine!" he said.
There aren't many designers who can beat that.

I love your colour choices and block design.
Just keep on going. Things work out in the end!
They always do.

Last edited by 2ursula; 04-28-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by mcdaniel023 View Post
You sure jumped in deep on this one. I have been quilting for several years and am not sure I would try that block.
You go girl.
Same here! It's pretty though!
Old 04-29-2012, 01:29 PM

With all those bias edges make sure you starch alot to help keep them from stretching and even then be careful with them. Match your two outside edges and then pin working in the extra fabric evenly. This is a challenging block even for someone who has been quilting for sometime. Good luck.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:52 AM

I began quilting early this year and have found that the best advice I received was to keep my seams on target at scant 1/4 inch, then make sure seams are facing in opposite directions when sewing seamed sections together. The seams should be "nestled" against each other and the end result is perfectly positioned pieces!

You might try searching for a tutorial online for whatever the pattern name is and it might give you some good insight as to how better to sew the pieces together.