Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer Featherweights ~ what's the big deal??? >

Singer Featherweights ~ what's the big deal???

Singer Featherweights ~ what's the big deal???

Old 04-29-2012, 07:08 AM

Red face Singer Featherweights ~ what's the big deal???

I'm a novice quilter. I've heard that quilters like featherweights. I'm being offered a Singer featherweight. I checked online and see that prices vary drastically from $39 to over $1,000.00. What is the quality of this machine aside from its brand? Can anyone tell my what's the big deal with this little machine? I appreciate your feedback in advance. Thank you.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

They are wonderul little machines, and they are so darn cute!!!
Old 04-29-2012, 07:36 AM

Light weight, sews beautifully, easy to work on, cute as a new puppy, etc.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:57 AM

It will give you a lifetime of beautiful straight stitches for very little cost, depending on what you pay for the machine. Even if you pay $300, which is the high end of what you can reasonably find a great condition one for, you won't have annual maintenance costs or spendy repairs to make. It doesn't take much to learn to service them yourself, parts are plentiful and inexpensive, and it won't go belly up on you like a modern machine. Plus it's portable. I paid $225 for one from Craigslist a couple weeks ago. Its in really great shape. Finish is still lovely, all attachments, in good working order with a near perfect case. I'm 28 so I figure we have 40 or 50 years left to sew together. I'm sure the computerized machine I just bought won't last even half of that, and it will require servicing that I can't do myself.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:58 AM

They are perfect to take to classes and sew-ins due to their low weight. They sew a beautiful stitch. They are reliable and easy to maintain. They give you a link to the past and all of the wonderful seamstresses and quilters from the past.
However, if you are looking for stitches other than straight stitch or want to do free motion or are dependent on electronic features, you won't find satisfaction with a Featherweight.
Dayle
Old 04-29-2012, 08:16 AM

Love my little FW. I even scored a table for her and now we are in quilting heavan. LOL
You said you are being 'offered' one? Are they selling or just going to give it to you? If giving...TAKE!!!
Old 04-29-2012, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Labradorsmom View Post
I'm being offered a Singer featherweight.
If this means they're giving it to you TAKE IT! Once you sew with her you'll see what it's all about. And if you don't fall in love I'm sure you'll find someone who'll be willing to take her off your hands.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:36 AM

They are cute, sew beautiful stitches, take up very little space, light weight, easy to fix yourself, great for piece work, easy to transport to classes, quiet machine compared to the plastic junk of today, great for quilting as you go or mini quilts...just dang cute...and can be used at mechanical art work on bookshelf when not in use!
Old 04-29-2012, 09:26 AM

When it comes to the prices; it's the fad of the yuppies who have more money than brains.

When it comes to the sewing; it's everything the posters above said. I especially like the simplicity of the machine and the fact that it's QUIET and has a quality sound totally unlike the new plastic junque.
We paid about $285.00 for ours and consider it worth it. Not sure we would have gone much higher though.

Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 04-29-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:15 AM

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day. I already own 6 Singer machines and 1 Royal. My hubby said; "no more machines." But the "portability" of the FW could come in handy. Thank you so much for your prompt replies everyone. O.k. got to go pick up my FW before someone changes her mind! Bye!