Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Quilt saved from garage sale >

Quilt saved from garage sale

Quilt saved from garage sale

Old 09-11-2009, 04:37 AM

I'm glad you saved Aunt Gertrude's lovely quilt, it's too bad the DIL didn't appreciate it, but very lucky for you that you saw it. Beautiful!!
Old 09-11-2009, 04:43 AM

I am so glad you were there to keep the quilt in the family. That quilt was made with love.

I have a SIL like that. She sold all the cross stitching mom did for them. That my brother asked for, I might add. Needless to say mom was hurt. Ok, so maybe they didn't go with the way she wanted to decorate. She could have saved them for her kids. They might like to have something that grandma made.

Sorry for ranting. :oops:

Whenever I ask the kids if they know were the quilts are that I made them. My brother very quickly says yes. :lol:
Old 09-11-2009, 04:53 AM

I just can't believe someone would like would part with a treasure like that. I'm glad you were there to save it.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:07 AM

Glad you found your aunt's quilt before the sale.
Your Aunt is surely smiling now that it's in a place to be treasured like it should have been.
Some people don't realize the work & love that goes into a quilt!! :evil:
Old 09-11-2009, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

All I can say is thank goodness you saved this! I know when we gift a quilt we have to let it go but when I think about all the time, effort and, yes, love I put into a quilt when I am making it for someone the thought that it would end up in a trash heap, sallies (goodwill), or garage sale never even occurs to me when I am making it. Quite frankly, if it did I probably would never make another gift quilt and just keep them all myself.

Additionally, when I am making a gift quilt for someone the recipient is on my mind through the entire process, from picking a pattern and fabrics to that final stitch made on the label and I constantly think, oh I hope they like this as much as I. Every quilt I make for someone (mostly baby quilts) I think it can become a wallhanging later in life or I fantasize that it will become a family heirloom or a much loved "binkie" that will be worn out due to all the love and use it got.

So sad, but I am glad you spotted it and saved it. I think it is a great quilt.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:14 AM

Wow - it's just beautiful. That border is just lovely - and so are all those tiny hand stiches! And here I am, crying, remembering my Great Aunt Grace, whose quilted treasures were dumped at Goodwill before I could say anything about it. I miss her so much, and would have given a lot to have been able to keep something she made. I'm really happy you were able to rescue this lovely bowtie quilt from obscurity.

Some people just don't understand how much these things mean when we make them - and can't connect emotionally with quilts. (My sister confessed this past weekend she wishes she could "get it" but just doesn't.) I know, it's hard to fathom when you love quilting as much as we do.

I'm finishing up a baby quilt for my best friend and although I've never signed a quilt, I intend to this time. In fact, after your garage sale story, I may just do a little more than sign it, and put the story of its creation in the signature block on back. What I thought about as I made it, my hopes for the baby, why I chose the fabrics and stiches I did. Maybe if we put more background information, plain for non-quilters to see, on the quilts we give, they'll mean more and will be kept longer and with more respect.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:29 AM

This just breaks my heart! All that work, not appreciated. I am so glad you got there "in time"!
Old 09-11-2009, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Eddie
Like you, I'm just speechless. I just don't understand how anyone can not feel the family value of something like this, regardless of whether they "don't like the colors" or whatever. Glad you rescued it!
At the very least, you would think, that when having a garage sale, that contained items, made by a person, and not just a 'manufactured clone of a thousand others", that the person would ask family, does anyone want this?
I always ask my kids, if there is anything they want, when I have a box of charity stuff. I give decent stuff to our 'shop', but if it might be sentimental, family gets first dibs.
So glad you rescued it...I bet you could hear, Auntie, sigh with relief, and the angels smiled at each other :D
Old 09-11-2009, 05:56 AM

Congratulations on the saving of the family quilt. It's a lovely memorial item.
People who do not sew cannot appreciate hand quilting. For a simple reason. When you can purchase a 'quilt' from Walmart for $29.99 and for all intent and purpose it looks like the same thing - it's hard for a non quilter to understand the unique love we have for quilts which are made by us or even understand the whys for the amount of time spent creating something like this.
Ducky, what I would hope I'd do. Keep it quite, no need to further bring attention to your son about it. Whenever possible I'd place the quilt in a prominent place to be shown proudly for ANYONE who entered my home. It's a move to keep the verbal peace but expressing dissatisfaction of an event you found disturbing and if something from the other side should say something about your placement; it's one that cannot be said you made a big deal out of nothing by allowing you to be equally as ignorant of 'WHY' you placed the quilt so prominently displayed, you remember your Aunt and the love you had for her!
Old 09-11-2009, 06:27 AM

So glad that you were there to save the quilt. I have stressed to my kids the value of such things and they all get it but you know, I think that there are people who don't understand how much time and effort are put into a quilt. And in this case the obvious love that went into it for the lady in her 80's to make it.

I guess try and teach your DIL but in the meantime don't be giving them any quilts.