Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 04-30-2012, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Divokittysmom View Post
Tanya; I purchased a 50 yd roll of stabilizer @ Discount Embroidery Supplies a couple of years ago. They generally have great prices onlots of embroidery supplies and no shipping!! What I purchased is a tear away, and it is quite heavy for tear away. You didn't mention what type you would like other than heavy weight. A thought for you is, instead of a trying a very heavy stabilizer use more than one layer. If one layer of your heavyweight isn't heavy enough you can add an additional layer. If it is so thick that you can't hoop it then 'float' it under your hoop after your stabilizer & project are hooped. You can baste in the hoop so it won't move (if your machine has that function) or use a spray adhesive like KK2000 , spray the additional piece of stabilizer in the hoop area and attach it to the bottom of your hoop area. HTH

http://www.discountembroiderysupply.com/
I am making some place mats where I will leave the stablizer attached. I need the stabilizer to make the medium weight fabric about the strength of light weight canvas. I'll check out the web site. $5.00/yd (or per place mat)is top price for stabilizer for me to make any profit on the place mats.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by bettysew View Post
The best information I have ever gotten on Stabilizers (I have the same machine you have) is from a dealer who carries Floriana threads and stabilizers. In fact, if you ever get the chance to go to a Floriana seminar offered at many dealers, please go. One of the primary focuses there is on which stabilizers to use for certain projects.
They generally give you, at the seminar, a CD with all the how to use information on their stabilizers. Great info.
We have Tidewater sew and vac here and they sell Floriana and they have lots of infor about about the stabliziers on thier web site. They are having a seminar in Sept that I plan on going to. If you wait for a class on it you may never get around to doing it. Most sites have info on it. Emblibrary.com has a lot on it, Viking has a lot. These aren't geared to one machine but what to chose and when. Tidewater Sew and Vac has a downloadable chart on it as well. I go to the emblibrary.com's projects and look at the type of project I want to do and find one like it and see what they recommend. You may still have to play around with it but that's the best way to really learn. It took me from Dec to March to figure out if I wanted to use the polyester cone thread to do FSL that I needed to use a sharp size 14 needle, heavy water stablizer and then I slow my machine down. Sometimes I'll take my scraps of stablizer and spray them with a little JTailor from Walmarts and double the layers depending on the design. It's a good way to use up scraps. I love taking classes but find I also have to read all that's out there from embroidery sites to get different ideas because not everything works with every situation. Just dive in and get your feet wet. When I decided to buy my Ruby I decided, no promised myself not to let the embroidery part sit like I hear so many doing. I hadn't been able to go to my monthly classes for 3 mos due to work schedule so last week my teacher at the LQS met me there and I spent the whole day catching up on all those missed classes. This month it's a cutwork needle class in the middle of the day and I'm taking off so that I can do it. I love working with the cutwork needles.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
I am making some place mats where I will leave the stablizer attached. I need the stabilizer to make the medium weight fabric about the strength of light weight canvas. I'll check out the web site. $5.00/yd (or per place mat)is top price for stabilizer for me to make any profit on the place mats.
There was a stablizer on the bolt at Hancock Fabrics like that for around 3.99 a yrd; with it being on the bolt it's wider than the normal on the roll. If you don't have a Hancock's you might check JoAnn's or even Walmarts. Ours sells stablizer on the bolt.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:28 AM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
There was a stablizer on the bolt at Hancock Fabrics like that for around 3.99 a yrd; with it being on the bolt it's wider than the normal on the roll. If you don't have a Hancock's you might check JoAnn's or even Walmarts. Ours sells stablizer on the bolt.
That is awfully expensive for stabilizer. You can always buy at Joann using the 40-50% off coupons.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
That is awfully expensive for stabilizer. You can always buy at Joann using the 40-50% off coupons.
It's not expensive for they type of stabilzer that TanyaL was looking for. This stabilzer is heaver than the normal one you are thinking of. She said her top price was $5 a yard. Hancocks also has the same coupons plus two Wed. a month is senior citizen and you don't have to be 60 and the 2nd Wed is military discount; these are applied on top of the discounts and coupons. Normally the first 3 Wed of the month is when I try to buy.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by bettysew View Post
The best information I have ever gotten on Stabilizers (I have the same machine you have) is from a dealer who carries Floriana threads and stabilizers. In fact, if you ever get the chance to go to a Floriana seminar offered at many dealers, please go. One of the primary focuses there is on which stabilizers to use for certain projects.
They generally give you, at the seminar, a CD with all the how to use information on their stabilizers. Great info.
Here is a link to a site that also tells about stablizers. I hope it helps. There are so many sites out there.

http://www.susanbrittingham.com/stabilizers.html
Old 05-01-2012, 05:04 AM

Thanks for the info by Susan Brittingham. I ran a copy off to put in my notes.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:20 AM

Default Some sites that I hope you can use.

While cleaning out my inbox I found an email from when I first started and I had forgotten about. It has some pretty good site links on it. I'm including part of it so you can see what the user said about the different sites. I just checked and all of the sites are still working and some have some nice things. You can get anything from thread to stablizers from the.

http://www.marathonthread.com/

http://www.abc-machine-embroidery-designs.com/

http://www.longcreekmills.com/

I also have ordered stablilizer from the first 2 sites usually on sale on the 2nd site (abc)

These are a couple more sites I have ordered designs and software (I use Embird and love it)

http://www.stitchdelight.net/

http://www.secretsof.com/
Old 05-01-2012, 10:59 AM

Wow ladies some great info here and loving it.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:41 PM

If your threads come on a spool rather than a cotton reel and are 4cms or bigger try keeping them vertical instead of horizontal. This really helps them not break.

Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
Yes, all break. What needle do you use? Maybe it's my stabilizer?