Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric overload >

Fabric overload

Fabric overload

Old 05-13-2012, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
My DH made a comment about my stash one day that has stuck with me. He said why not let the quilt shop store your fabric and you go get it when you need it? Why bring it all home? LOL. I have cut down on my fabric stashing. I found less is better to get more quilts made.
I think your DH is brilliant! That is exactly what I need to do.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:34 PM

Maybe you can ask some of the people who bring the fabric in to assist in the sorting and washing. It's obvious they want to donate, so maybe they would like to donate their time?
Old 05-13-2012, 09:10 PM

I know how you feel. I quilt for Project Linus, two churches, and a guild quilt group. As a result, I have been given much fabric to distribute to the members of the groups. One day, two ladies brought me 33 large boxes plus six
large garbage bags of fabric from a deceased seamstress. That same week, I was given six boxes from another person,
and a couple of boxes from someone else. I love to receive the fabric, get to look at it, sort it, and pass it on. The big problem is that nearly everyone wants me to keep the fabric until she is ready to use it. I know where to give most of the fabric that we can not use; it is the good fabric that quilters want me to keep until they are ready. My house is overflowing with fabric. I am going to get serious about the problem and find good places for the fabric soon so I can regain my home. I like the idea of making simple kits.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:41 PM

Great idea to have a fabric party! Maybe let them buy some of the unusable fabrics to help with costs? I wish I wad closer I'd help!!
I'll be watching for your sale. I agree only wash what your keeping!!
Old 05-14-2012, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Painiacs View Post
Great idea to have a fabric party! Maybe let them buy some of the unusable fabrics to help with costs? I wish I wad closer I'd help!!
I'll be watching for your sale. I agree only wash what your keeping!!
Fabric party to raise funds sounds like a LOT of fun!! I'll have to mention that to our coordinator. We could simply do that when we meet one month or have a separate meeting just for that purpose.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Burnett View Post
I know how you feel. I quilt for Project Linus, two churches, and a guild quilt group. As a result, I have been given much fabric to distribute to the members of the groups. One day, two ladies brought me 33 large boxes plus six
large garbage bags of fabric from a deceased seamstress. That same week, I was given six boxes from another person,
and a couple of boxes from someone else. I love to receive the fabric, get to look at it, sort it, and pass it on. The big problem is that nearly everyone wants me to keep the fabric until she is ready to use it. I know where to give most of the fabric that we can not use; it is the good fabric that quilters want me to keep until they are ready. My house is overflowing with fabric. I am going to get serious about the problem and find good places for the fabric soon so I can regain my home. I like the idea of making simple kits.
THIS! THIS! This is exactly what I was trying to say. I, too, love to receive the fabric, sort it, pass it on. It's the good stuff that I'm hanging onto for the chapter that makes my sewing room unmanageable and me unproductive. I know this is a good problem to have, but still.

Thank you for your words, I really appreciate it!
Old 05-14-2012, 05:41 AM

Default too much faabric

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
My DH made a comment about my stash one day that has stuck with me. He said why not let the quilt shop store your fabric and you go get it when you need it? Why bring it all home? LOL. I have cut down on my fabric stashing. I found less is better to get more quilts made.
I like this idea and will try to think of it when I am tempted to buy fabric I can't use for a while.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by willferg View Post
THIS! THIS! This is exactly what I was trying to say. I, too, love to receive the fabric, sort it, pass it on. It's the good stuff that I'm hanging onto for the chapter that makes my sewing room unmanageable and me unproductive. I know this is a good problem to have, but still.

Thank you for your words, I really appreciate it!
It seems like you have the same problem that many of us have..the inability to say NO!! When they show a desire to use a fabric, make it clear that they need to take it THEN, not when they are ready to use it. You eventually will be so full of fabric you are holding for others that you will have to turn donations away.
It is time for everyone else in the group to step up and help you too. It doesn't matter if they are a knotrter, or a crocheter..They are perfectly capable of helping sort, wash and press the fabric...Don't lose the joy of what you do, because of the selfishness of others!!
Old 05-14-2012, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

Many people like to make donation quilts but the cost of fabric has gotten prohibitive. Instead of washing and ironing everything, maybe bundle fabric and a pattern. People can wash, iron and cut the fabric themselves. We all need to do that when we buy fabric from the store too.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 05-14-2012 at 06:11 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:23 AM

I have found in my past experience working with various organizations, that people won't volunteer but will gladly help out if asked. So put out a call for help and I'm sure some ladies will step forward. They won't help if they don't know you have a need. Also, so many of us have trouble saying "no" and we become over-worked and exhausted. It's not sinful to say "no" once in awhile. Actually it's quite refreshing. Even God took a day off and rested.