Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
All young quilters out there... >

All young quilters out there...

All young quilters out there...

Old 06-02-2012, 06:05 PM

I may be an "old lady " now, but I have been quilting for 25 years. I am 50's now.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:05 PM

I'm 19 and love to quilt.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
A male friend (?) and I were talking the other day and I told him I quilted and he said only old women quilted. I'm 58 and said I wasn't an old woman and didn't know what constituted an old woman. I told him that women and men of all ages quilted. I said there were many 20 and 30 year old people who quilted. Any of you want to come forward and let yourself be known so I can tell my friend?
Drat, you waited way to long to ask me.!
Old 06-02-2012, 07:32 PM

Well I will be 70, Aug 3rd..I am not old...but the body wants me to think that but I refuse to listen.. .LOL My grandson made a quilt last year when he visited in the summer..he was 11..he's back and he might want to do another one..after he gets back from church camp..my mom quilted all our lives and she was 93 when we lost her...My two daughters love them but hasn't taken up making them..too busy taking care of family...I have a niece that is very interested in quilting..she has made her two oldest boys their t-shirt quilts..for Christmas she got a rotary cutter and mat and a ruler..so she is getting prepared...she just turned 39..I think she will probably get all my things when I'm gone...but I hope to have all my fabric made into quilts before then..I made 11 quilts last year..and already making some now...I love it and don't intend to stop any time soon..just need to slow down on buying....LOL big enough stash already...well maybe not...
Old 06-02-2012, 09:29 PM

Tell your friend that quilting is not just for "old ladies". While I am an older (not old!) quilter, I have many young friends in my quilt guild, quilt club, sewing club and Project Linus group. Quilting is a creative outlet that attracts women and men of all ages. It is time for your friend to join the current century.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:00 PM

I am thirty and I love to make quilts. I have made quilts for all my four babies starting back when I was 20. I sew all my own dresses as well as for my three girls.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:22 AM

Default Our 4-H kids quilt!

And they are only 10 in many cases! In fact, it was their projects that inspired me to start quilting after I retired.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:40 AM

I started quilting when I was 35. I am 39 now, so still pretty newb, but I know many younger people who quilt. I think the sheer # of responses here should be enough for your pal to eat some crow!
Old 06-03-2012, 02:07 AM

I'm 34 and started quilting when I was 21.

I suspect that some of the 'old ladies' label comes from the fact that people have more time to do what they want (whatever that is) once they retire. Plus women have 24/7 occupation with house and kids, so for much of their lives they don't get to have hobbies in the same way that men do (yes, I am making vast generalisations here, but as a general rule...). So OK, the kids grow up and leave. The house is still there, but the retirement-age women I know seem to decide that there is more to life than having a perfect house (I agree!) and/or insist that hubby take on his fair share of house-chores when he retires which allows them to have more free time to quilt. Or paint. Or dance. Or scuba dive. Or whatever.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:36 AM

I agree with you. I'm 58 and I'm not old and my daughter who really loves to quilt but is still learning is only 23. She'd really take offense at being called an old women even though with two young kids there are days when she feels like it.