Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Storage of quilts >

Storage of quilts

Storage of quilts

Old 06-07-2012, 03:26 PM

When I lived in a moble home I stored my quilts in between the box and mattress. I hope this gives you an ideal.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:28 PM
Power Poster

I agree with neesie about the possibility of the fabric softener sheet staining. I've had fabric softener stain when it's been poured on clothes directly and the fabric sheets have an oily feel about them.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:34 PM

All fabrics need air circulation to stay healthy. Space Bags were derived from those Seal-a-Meal appliances used to prevent freezer burn. There has to be a better, safer way to store the quilts even in your cramped space.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:24 AM

Many months ago I saw a post that I thought solved your storage problem beautifully. This poster said she stored quilts that were not currently in use between mattress and box springs on her beds. That way there were no creases from folding and out of the way until they're needed. I don't have enough quilts to need to use her tip, but I thought it was a super suggestion.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:34 AM

You can store them on top of a spare bed too.

But personally, if you are only storing them for a few months until you will use them again...I would do it. If it keeps them handy and you are not doing it for years at a time...why not?

Why do they have to breath? What happens to a suffocated quit anyway?
Old 06-08-2012, 06:18 PM

I used the space bags to store quilts and haven't had any problems. I just change them out with the seasons. I would NOT used the fabric softener sheet as it will stain. I don't use any kind of fabric softener when I wash my quilts because of allergies and I put them away clean and when the bags are opened, they still smell "clean"! I use All "Free and Clear" detergent because of my allergies. I may add baking soda or vinegar to the wash.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:25 PM

It depends on the intended life of the quilts. Will they be gotten out and used regularly or stored for long periods of time. If they are really special and you want to hand them down a generation or more then fabric storage like pillow cases are the way to maintain the integrity of the fabric. Any thing else will cause the fabric to break down sooner.