Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt guild question. >

quilt guild question.

quilt guild question.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by sahm4605 View Post
I am wanting to join a local guild and was wondering if it is considered okay to just show-up to the meeting on Monday or should i contact them and get and "invitation" of sorts to join. I don't want to insult them by not going about "joining" in a proper way.
At the guild near me, a visitor can come and check out the guild for $5.00 visitor fee. Or can sign up for the guild for $25.00 for the year.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by misskira View Post
I emailed first so I would be expected and so I would know if I should bring anything.
I think I'd do this. Although, in the 5 guilds I've belonged to in the course oif my quilt life I just showed up.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:59 PM

There are 2 large guild in our area and you can just show up. There a a couple of others that meet in smaller places and can't take more members due to lack of space. There is an art quilt group that used to be by invitation only. I don't know if it still is that way.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:26 PM

I have to agree with this suggestion. Our 2 local quilt guilds have reached capacity...not necessarily that they wouldn't like to have more members but the Fire Marshal sets a limit on the number of individuals that a particular room may have in it at any given time. Sometimes it is fewer members allowed if tables are set up but a larger number if only chairs. I feel sure that you would be welcome as a one time visitor but they may have a quota for their meeting room. If you know who to call or email, please do so but if not...just show up. I was lucky to "get in under the wire". Good luck in finding a place where you are welcome and that you feel comfortable; there is one out there somewhere for you.
Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
Not all guilds are open to new members, and some actually have a "application". One guild in my area is closed to new members, and only allow a new member if someone leaves. I would call or e- mail first.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:21 PM

Law me! Just show up. The chances are 99 in 100 that the guild will be tickled to have a guest and a potential new member. If they aren't, shake the dust off your feet. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. froggyintexas
Originally Posted by sahm4605 View Post
I am wanting to join a local guild and was wondering if it is considered okay to just show-up to the meeting on Monday or should i contact them and get and "invitation" of sorts to join. I don't want to insult them by not going about "joining" in a proper way.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:33 PM
HMK

Just my opinion mind you, but I wouldn't just show up at a friend's home expecting to sit and visit and I think it's the polite thing to do in phoning a member of the executive asking if they'd be fine with having a guest.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:45 PM

I have never met a quilt snob. I belong to two quilds & people are soooo nice. One quild will only takes 50 but I have never seen anyone set away. Our room isn't that big & everyone signed up doesn't always come. I think quilters are great people. Rowena101
Old 06-09-2012, 04:41 PM

Most guilds welcome drop-ins. Do you know anyone in the guild that you can ask?
Old 06-09-2012, 04:48 PM

I'd just show up, but it all depends on the folks in the guild. If they seem put off by it I'd question if I even wanted to join them at all. Quilters, on the whole, seem like a super group of human beings who love sharing their love of quilting with others.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:51 PM

I emailed a member that i found some info on in the guild and they verified that visitors are welcome and where they meet. (I think that it has changed since last quilt show.) I am soooooo psyched about going. I can't wait to see their work and get feed back on some of mine. and to learn new things.