Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion >

2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion

2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion

Old 06-13-2012, 04:32 PM

Losie's right, Pat. Pick the fabric you think you'd most enjoy collecting and working with for a long, long time. Civil War repos are reproductions of fabric produced just before and during the Civil War (the early 1860's) and 1930s repos are reproductions of fabric made during the 1930's. A good example of that is on Aneal's "that quilt" site or her store site, which is twiddletails.com. The Aunt Grace fabric line is another example of 20's or 30's repos. If you google "civil war fabric", you'll get tons of examples of that.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:36 AM

Thanks for the advice on the fabric. I wanted to use civil war repos in my DJ. I have 4 fabrics I found in my stash that I'm not sure if they are 30's repos. I will research them. These little blocks are quite addicting. THey are fun to work on so far. I plan on working on it again this morning.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:42 AM

I'm not a fabric expert and agree with katybob - if you like the fabric use it she is also right about the 'thatquilt.com' site [I think I'm half asleep - knee still preventing me! I see doc in 2hr - I didn't notice all that Katybob wrote until after I finished writing the next paragraph, so you dont really have to read the rest of my message below !!! ] btw - I got all caught up to date last night!! YAY!!! will post when I return from appt

but to answer your question, if you want to research it anyway - google 30s fabric. You will see that they are mostly on pastelish backgrounds. Most are cute little prints - in fact I think most of the prints on the background are white - white poodles, flowers, sprinkling cans, kitties, etc.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:17 AM

Hello to all! Apologies for the delay ... I travel! I traveled to a neighboring country of Argentina, called Uruguay, a small first Patchwork Expo, there was much to learn, but an excuse to meet my friends and enjoy this wonderful hobby of all! The best of the world to recharge the batteries and go on the journey of everyday life!
Now to business: Ladies very beautiful blocks! Each is doing a wonderful trip!
Gus sorry to hear of your health problem and I pray you gets better soon!
QuiltnNan your sewing room is at least a little closer! Gradually will succeed!
I now I can share my blocks of the Week 9!
Special thanks to Hex Nut for your recommendation of PPE for the "Couture Y". Their input helped me overcome this issue yet I can not get normally and I can B-9.
I show my blocks and all together, now with 23 blocks and 3 triangles appear to many!
Have a beautiful day!
A giant hug each!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	A-10.JPG
Views:	1679
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	342034   Click image for larger version

Name:	B-9.JPG
Views:	1685
Size:	385.2 KB
ID:	342036   Click image for larger version

Name:	C-12.JPG
Views:	1681
Size:	323.7 KB
ID:	342037   Click image for larger version

Name:	Semana 9.JPG
Views:	1653
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	342038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Semanas 1 a 9.JPG
Views:	1664
Size:	320.6 KB
ID:	342039  

Old 06-14-2012, 11:47 AM

Hi everyone! I have completed 5 blocks (just started). How far along is everyone? Is it too late to join in? Are you all still trying to finish by end of 2013? What is the best way to organize color for the blocks? There is so much brown in the civil war quilt....but that's what I'm trying to do. Are you using quilt fabric strictly from quilt shops? I love the way these fabrics feel but they are very expensive. Is anyone using other fabric sources for purchasing fabric? Is anyone using fabric for more than one square? Sorry for all the questions....
Old 06-14-2012, 12:06 PM

Welcom dknit,
I have only 6 done myself. Not too late at all to join in. I have a number of fabrics already. I have purchased some fabrics on line, and using some I have. They are not all from quilt shops. I layed them out on the floor in the order that they will be stitched together, I cut a corner out for the lay out as I am using the same fabric twice (or even three times in a couple of cases). I figure it could become a game for a sick child to match, to find those that are almost the same but are actually different, etc. lol Most important is to enjoy what you are using and looking at.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:24 PM

Thank you Jeanine. I had a friend who did a DJ years ago and she had a huge piece of felt cut that she hung on a wall. Then she pinned each square she completed to the felt so she could get an idea of how the layout would work. I may try this when I have enough to pin up lol. Nice to know repeating fabric is ok....
Old 06-14-2012, 12:57 PM

Good idea, dknit. Silly me, I forgot about the batting (no felt, alas) hanging on the wall. Will take that felt idea and use that batting to put them up.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:23 PM

Dknit I just started myself. I have 5 blocks finished. I am going to try to post the pictures. For some reason I am having trouble getting them from the camera to the computer. I am sure I am doing something dumb. I will figure it out eventually. I am hoping to just start with this group where they are and go back to the beginning as I have time to do those. I will never catch up, but it will hopefully keep me moving. These little blocks are kinda addicting. I have a t-shirt quilt all layered to quilt just staring at me while I work on my DJ. All of you ladies on here are making such gorgeous blocks. I got a lot of my fabric from a civil war exchange here on the board about a year ago. I don't have any civil war fabric as I am a brights kind of girl. Mostly batiks in my stash. I have 72 from the exchange. I plan on using them up and buying a few as I go along. I will make several blocks out of each fabric. I was planning on following (loosely) the colors in the original but substituting for some of the brown.
Pat
Old 06-14-2012, 04:11 PM

Oh.....batting...silly me. Think I'll do that too! What kind is the best to use? I hope you ladies don't laugh, but my DJ quilt is my FIRST! Any project I've ever done, I've always dived in head first with the most complicated lol. I'm having fun though! My grandmothers, aunts and mother all quilt so I'm hoping it's in the genes! Pat, I want to post my pictures too but I'll wait a few weeks so I'll have a few more done. Maybe my hubby can help me upload....I'm awful with techy stuff Also, maybe when the other ladies ahead of us finish, we can keep posting. Who knows, maybe there will be first group, second group etc. as more ladies join. I say ladies, maybe there are some gentlemen out there too.