motor for a pink atlas

Old 06-19-2012, 04:46 AM

what do u mean check foot pedal for 100%. How do I do that?7
Old 06-19-2012, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by sewingmachineaddict View Post
what do u mean check foot pedal for 100%. How do I do that?7
Well, one way to do it is to use an ohm or continuity meter. Hook the leads up to the ends of the wires if possible, or to the connections inside the controller, then slowly push the pedal down and watch for a smooth decrease in resistance. Any problems like dead spots will show up real quick.

If your machine has a cord block and you have a volt meter you can stick the probes of the meter in the motor outlet and then try it fully powered up. Doing it that way you can see just how much voltage the motor is getting and also watch for a smooth even voltage increase as you push down on the pedal.

Just a couple ways to do it.

Joe
Old 06-19-2012, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Black replacement motor + sandpaper + painters tape +pink spray paint + time and effort = a pink motor.

I'd try to fix the original (if there) first.

I have also run across sources for white colored motors and even non painted motors. But alas those links are in my dead hard drive.

Joe
Brilliant Joe. Why didn't I think of repainting a motor to match? Your suggestion is now in my memory bank. I bet one could even have the paint color matched and use a small paint sprayer to paint the motor. Good use for the paint sprayer I purchased for DH to use (really me, LOL).
Old 06-19-2012, 06:28 AM

One could use an air brush or even a Pre-Val unit sold at paint stores.

I've got one machine I really didn't want to put the black motor and foot controller on. I just might follow my own advise and paint them.

Joe
Old 06-19-2012, 03:36 PM

Joe, you are so nice to offer suggestions and help on this board--and don't you just love it when it fires you up to get going on something your puttin' off to a better time????
Old 06-19-2012, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by oldtnquiltinglady View Post
Joe, you are so nice to offer suggestions and help on this board--and don't you just love it when it fires you up to get going on something your puttin' off to a better time????
Well, I'm not rich, I'm not good looking (too fat), so all I have to offer is what I know. I figure that if I can help others do things with what I know then I'm accomplishing something.

As for getting fired up to do things I've been putting off, I need more charcoal brickets and lighter fluid. LOL.
Seriously I have so many projects in queue my head is spinning.

Joe
Old 06-19-2012, 03:51 PM

these ohm.volt meters he talks about are comonly know as multi meters any auto parts , seasr harbor frieght, home depot, lowes.. so on carry them 20 will get you a basic model 35 for a top line,,,

for changing motor color and to keep the og color, can just just change the guts to the pink housing ?
Old 06-19-2012, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by sewingmachineaddict View Post
i was just thinking if i could find another motor it couldnt hurt to have a spare lying around, lol. I am realtively new to this stuff, but i am loving that i can take an older machine apart and clean it and make it work better (i am not mechanically inclined at all!!!)

I got the machine for $8 and its pretty rough but its a challenge. It was frozen up completely and i have gotten as far as getting all the parts to move smoothly by the handwheel but the darn belt keeps slipping when the motor is running. Ughhh. I just had to walk away. On to my other project which is a sewmor and i think the feed dogs are not moving back and forth correctly only up and down. Anyway... thats a different story for a different day. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help!
You've probably already tried this but, on the Sewmor, make sure your stitch length isn't set on 0. If it's on 0, your feed dogs will just go up/down...& not move from front to back.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:33 AM

ummm no I didn't think of that, I will try that!!! Thanks, sometimes the little things escape me
Old 06-20-2012, 10:15 AM

Sorry, don't have a suggestion for your machine. But, my mom bought a pink Atlas in the early 50's, in fact, I learned to sew on that machine. Takes me back to a happy time in my life and yes, that machine is still running strong. I got it after mom died.