Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Sewing Space/Play Room/Office... is it possible?? >

Sewing Space/Play Room/Office... is it possible??

Sewing Space/Play Room/Office... is it possible??

Old 06-19-2012, 09:56 AM

I was going to suggest something similar to Freckles... depending on how much money you have to spend, there are a few different types of sewing armoires that will completely close up with all your stuff inside of them. You might have to figure out a way to lock it up, or close it off, so little fingers won't get in there.

Rather than a credenza-type, this is more what I'm talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/Machine-Cabine.../dp/B001DUZV50

It's gotten some good feedback on Pattern Review.com.

Here's a really pricey setup - looks nice though:

http://theoriginalscrapbox.com/catal...the-sewing-box
Old 06-19-2012, 10:32 AM

For me, personally, having something I have to fold up and all that kind of defeats the purpose. But that is just me. There used to be the cutest quilt shop in Henderson, NV that I went to a few times. It was owned by a young gal that had a little boy. She had her dad build the cutest picket fence with a gate in the corner for her son. It was tall enough to keep him in, but short enough that she could keep an eye on him from anywhere in the store. The children of her shoppers could also play in it.

I used to do daycare when I was much younger. The kids play area was in the on one side and my sewing machine table was in a corner. I got a lot done while the kids were playing. Often I had an audience of little girls. Of course I had to keep the sharp stuff up and away, but that was easy enough.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:47 AM

I have a small 10x10 toy (sewing) room/office set up. The office items (computer, etc) are stationed in an armoire that closes up (purchased inexpensively from wally world). Then I made a fold up 6x8 table that is attached w/hinges to one wall and folds out w/hinges onto legs when in use, and then folds up flat up against the wall when not in use, a sewing table that houses my serger and sewing machine in front of double windows, a 10 foot quilt frame w/mid arm against the wall under the fold out table, wire shelving in one corner and a renaissance embroidery machine in another corner. Where theres a will theres a way. However, I agree w/many other comments... I would be afraid of stray fallen needs, etc that might be picked up by curious little ones?

Last edited by kountrykreation; 06-19-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:56 PM

Guess it depends on HOW MUCH of a sewing area you want. Just a sewing machine? Will you need an HOT iron? Storing fabric and supplies in this room?

I vote go for the basement. A few inexpensive overhead flourescent units will liven up the place. Being fully dressed down to socks and shoes helps with the body temp in colder basements. An inexpensive baby monitor can help listen for the kids during naps and early evenings.

By being in the downstairs you won't have to worry about babies picking up DANGEROUS things when you turn your head. Besides...if it's out of sight no one will see how you leave it. That way you can pick up where you left off and not have to worry about clean up - taking out - cleaning up - taking out.

I give this advice because in our other house I had the sewing machine and small ironing surface in our bedroom and it was a PAIN to do the take out and put away every time I wanted to sew. A small amount of supplies were in totes under the bed. In our current house I have about 900 square feet of space to call MY OWN ... in the basement!!! and I love it!

Good luck with your decision
Old 06-19-2012, 04:53 PM

I've watched my DGD (20 mos.) 5 days per week since her birth. Last year we bought a playpen-type thing that comes in 8 panels of lightweight but sturdy plastic. One of the panels has a gate with a locking mechanism. The panels lock together quite tightly. We bought it when the baby had started walking and I couldn't safely leave the room to go to the bathroom or switch the laundry. We didn't end up using very long because the baby didn't like it, but it was invaluable last Christmas. We set up the tree and put the "fence" around it. I think it would be great to set up around your sewing machine and chair, especially if you use a corner and can make the fence come out from the walls on 2 sides instead of making a complete (smaller) circle. I got mine on eBay with free shipping and paid about $100 for it (look under "play pens"). I would however caution you about rotary cutter, seam rippers, needles, pins, etc. Get a small plastic box that is lockable. Kids are little monkeys and can get into mischief very quickly. Good luck! Let us know how it all works out.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:42 PM

I too would be concerned with the rotary blade. You could designate a place high and out of the way to store when not in use. Maybe in a cute container? You could get in the habit of using it during nap/bedtime. Then have all of your fabric ready to sew while the kids are playing. Set all of your pieces aside and trim all at once then return the cutter to it's "special place". You can make this work, think of all the times you are cooking and using a knife with the kids around it is the same thing. Safety first! Have fun.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:32 AM

Safety is a must If you are going to be with your children then do that be with them spend time When they are napping then sew Or take a few hours to sew after they are down for the night. Your children should come first. Don't neglect them to sewing. You can work it all out it is possible. But remember safety is first. DO NOT HAVE SCISSORS, ROTARY CUTTERS, PINS ETC OUT WHILE CHILDREN ARE AROUND everyone is only human and things can happen.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:38 PM

Obviously safety is my first priority. My question was more, how do you set things up to *fit* everything in the room? As the stash grows and the toys get bigger and more plentiful, how do you organize it all?!
Old 06-20-2012, 06:53 PM

The book Creating-Your-Perfect-Quilting-Space; has some great ideas, one showing an area off the kitchen enclosed with furniture/storage pieces. Check it out.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:49 AM

I did my quilting in a 5' X 8' walk-in closet for several years. It had double folding doors. I bought a used 3' X 5' wooden table for my machine and put it on one side. I bought a used wooden computer desk that just fit my 24" X 36" cutting mat. The pull-out for the keyboard held my portable ironing area (Walmart). Bought those plastic shelves to put beside that for my fabric. I had plastic bins under the computer desk and it had a drawer with a cabinet on one side. I stored batting and extra machine under the sewing table. I could sit in my rolling chair and reach everything!

I would split that room into two sections with a gate inbetween. Use a desk for your sewing machine with drawers. Put a 3 to 4 inch board across the back of the desk to keep things from falling off the back and place it so you can see your children and they can see you. Use shelves along the walls and a fold-down ironing board...perhaps on the back of the door? Put a toybox on the children's side and teach them to put up their toys before leaving the room. Take frequent breaks to read or play with them. You can even purchase small roll-out mats for nap time when they get fussy. Be sure the door is on your side of the room, so they can't leave while your back is turned or you are distracted! Hope you can work everything out with your room. As the kids get older, you can expand into the rest of the room!