Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Orphan Blocks >

Orphan Blocks

Orphan Blocks

Old 06-30-2012, 06:43 AM

Wonderful! If you don't have a design board, I would get one set up right away. Then start with the square blocks and put the 20 of them together in a top. As a beginner, I would set aside those round blocks until you get experienced enough to know what to do with them. LOL Just work a little at a time or you'll get overwhelmed, at least I would! Don't worry if they don't turn out perfect, just start playing and sewing, and have fun!
Old 06-30-2012, 06:51 AM

I think your friend must enjoy making the blocks more than joining them together! Lucky for you. Have fun with your windfall.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:55 AM

Default More pictures

Okay, I just spent an hour sorting and pressing. I'm trying to keep same sized shapes together as much as possible. The pile of triangles at the back of this photo is 2 inches high! I have tons of squares, too, but only the red ones are in this photo. The pile of fabric towards the front is just mostly the same color family and good size pieces that are not cut into any particular shape - but a lot of them are good sized - like maybe 5x8 inches or larger. I've also come across lots of long strips - possibly meant for sashing or binding. I'm trying to keep those separate until I figure out if I want to try some string quilts or strip tube methods. It will probably depend on how much of it I have. My head is spinning. I am pretty certain more than one quilt will come out of this.

Question for you guys. I know Quilts For Kids stresses about the many washings and high heat our quilts are subjected to. Is this stuff going to stand up to that? Or should I look for another charity outlet that will not be so tough on them?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000493.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	345616  
Old 06-30-2012, 06:58 AM

Sometimes we have friends, like swap books, and then we have QUILTING FRIENDS if you know what I mean LOL
Yeah for them, you hit the jackpot, have fun, make a crazy quilt.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:05 AM

I am green with envy! That was like Christmas I have no doubt as you "unwrapped" each item! I think she might have tossed in a furry critter into your basket of fun. Double the pleasure or is it one more set of helping paws?

Last edited by Elisabrat; 06-30-2012 at 07:07 AM.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by MaryMo View Post
You won the jackpot of the quilting world. Have fun with these .... so many ideas going thru my head!
wow...lovely "scraps"...have fun with them....I love to make crumb quilts for charity....
Old 07-01-2012, 03:14 AM

You are a lucky ducky. What an inheritance of beautiful options you have to work with. The best part is they are free and you get to play with wonderful fabric. Be creative, have fun and show us the results from time to time.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:24 AM
Power Poster

God bless you both. Her for giving them to you and you for putting them into a quilt to give away. Can't wait to see what you do with them. BrendaK
Old 07-01-2012, 04:02 AM

I received a 'small' box like that once. After sorting, I had some blocks that I didn't know what I was going to do with them. Put aside and a while later found the perfect top they went with. So..just keep sorting and you will find a pattern that they will fit in. There is always a reason we 'inherite' them. LOL
Old 07-01-2012, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Glenda m View Post
I received a 'small' box like that once. After sorting, I had some blocks that I didn't know what I was going to do with them. Put aside and a while later found the perfect top they went with. So..just keep sorting and you will find a pattern that they will fit in. There is always a reason we 'inherite' them. LOL
I checked my library and they have a copy of the book "Setting Solutions" so I'm going to get that out next week and see what I can figure out. I know the friendship stars and churn block squares will make a nice little baby quilt and that's what I will probably do with those. And there is no doubt at all that I have ample scraps to make some good looking string quilts - but I really want to do these blocks justice, too.