Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Question about foam board >

Question about foam board

Question about foam board

Old 07-14-2012, 08:25 AM

If having a crease where you fold is a problem for you, why not roll your fabric. got this idea from an artical on tv about how to pack clothing in a suit case for a trip. Give it a try works nicely for me!
Old 07-14-2012, 10:15 AM

The boards I got from Michaels are killing my cutting board. The paper on the outside is too thick and even using a exacto knife I had problems. This am I went to Dollar General and although I have not cut yet I can tell the paper on the outside is much thinner.

As crazy as it sounds I really like the orginizing part of it! My husband says I am a fabric collector or a quilt starter . . . I have finished quite a few - but have even more partly or mostly done
Old 07-14-2012, 10:29 AM

That is one reason that I started hanging my larger pieces (over 1.5yd). Since they are folded around a 12" ruler, there are only 2/3 creases per yard. Much easier to deal with.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:08 AM

Ok - I love the board from Dollar Geneal!!! I would love to buy it bulk - I got the lat 5 from the store. Anyone know where to buy from? All the links I find are not avaliable anymore
Old 07-14-2012, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by cminor View Post
Ok - I love the board from Dollar Geneal!!! I would love to buy it bulk - I got the lat 5 from the store. Anyone know where to buy from? All the links I find are not avaliable anymore
I know that Dollar Tree has an online store. You might see if Dollar General does or if Dollar Tree has it.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by cminor View Post
For those of you that use the foam board - or even the comic book boards does the extra crease in your fabric bother you?

I had most of my fabric on bolts from Joanns or Walmart. They are nice enough to give them away But with Walmarts clearance fabric over the last couple months I have much too much to put it all on bolts. I started folding some and putting it in one of the hanging shoe organizers in the closet - but that filled up quickly.

So I took it out of the closet and folded it and put it on a small book case. It looks pretty - but is a little diffiuclt to get to.

I went to Michaels to check out the foam board and they happend to have some on clearance. After I cut a couple pcs I realized that extra fold to put it on the small boards might drive me crazy. Any ideas to get around this?

Right now I am considering putting all the fabric on long full boards. . . but so many people use the small ones I thought I might be missing something
I haven't used any of the boards, but I do use my 6" x 24" ruler to fold my fabric over and over, and then fold that in half, after folding it on the ruler. I like this for my fabric.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:09 AM

I have adjustable shelves, so 20X30 inch foam core was perfect, and I used the full width, got four 7 1/2 X 20 inch pieces per board. Now I wish I had made them 15 X20 inches - would have more fabrics on each shelf. I bought most of the foam core on sale, 2 sheets for $1.

I can hear you saying, "How did you fold the fabric to fit?' The fabric was 1 or 2 inches taller than the foam core, but when all the fabric is on a shelf, the part that's not on the foam core is supported by the fabric 'next-door' etc etc all along the shelf, so it doesn't matter that the foam core isn't quite tall enough.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:58 AM

Please explain to me what ruler fold is.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:03 AM

Happy rolling!
Old 07-15-2012, 04:50 PM

Yes, please. What is ruler folding.