Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tangle Mess! >

Tangle Mess!

Tangle Mess!

Old 07-24-2012, 11:49 AM

Someone else here on the board suggested cutting a small triangle (very small) off each of the 4 corners. I tried it, and it worked for me.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
Not that I know of. It is the nature of washing lots of smaller pieces together. Might put in mesh bags, but I've learned to live with it. Dont sheets and towels get tangled up in the wash?
I put a bunch of 1/4 yds. into a mesh bag & they knotted up so tightly nothing would separate them. I had to throw it all away. Made me sick but I rarely put anything in the wash first now.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Gail B View Post
If you cut a tiny bit off each corner of the fabric it will hardly fray. Cut on an angle. I use to serge all my cut edges before washing now I just clip the corners. Much quicker & works wonderfully well.
Using a pinking sheers or pinking blade in rotary cutter and cutting off the corners helps a lot.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:22 PM

When I did prewash fabrics, that is what I did and it really helped. I haven't prewashed fabrics now in over 20 years and have had no problems with bleeding.

Originally Posted by jcrilley View Post
I have had good results by just cutting a small triangle off each corner (1/4")
Old 07-24-2012, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Prissnboot View Post
Someone referred to Coats & Clark thread as "crappy thread" - what kind of thread do you use to sew with? I'm not trying to hurt your feelings, I'm just wondering. I tend to sew my pieces together with really inexpensive serger thread spools, but use embroidery thread to do my quilting with. Do you have any suggestions that work better for you?
I saw that too. That is the only quilting thread that I use for hand quilting. I have never had a problem with it. Plus I got a whole slew of C&C dual-duty when it went on sale at Joann's for 1.00 a spool (I think it is regularly 2.89 a spool).
Old 07-25-2012, 01:44 AM

i serge the cut edge, then open up the fabric and then accordian fold about 6 to 8 inch folds and then pin with safety pins...you will have a pieace of folded fabric 6in by 42in and it wont get all tangled
Old 07-25-2012, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts View Post
I started using the gentle or the hand wash cycle. Unless it bleeds you don't need to beat the fabric like you do with your dirty clothes. Have almost eliminated the snarls and less time getting from new to table...
Even if it bleeds, there's no reason to "beat the fabric". Gentle cycle works just fine for bleeders, too. And it goes without saying, fabrics tangle less when they are not combined with the regular laundry. It never occurred to me that some people toss their brand new fabric in with their dirty clothes.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:25 AM

I USED to wash all my fabric, I don't anymore. The fabric now-a-days doesn't have much shrinkage factor. I will only wash if I think it might run (such as reds). I try not to wash cotton fabric too much as it fades and won't be as colorful as when new. I especially don't like the wrinkled mess when its washed and all the ironing to get the wrinkles out. I really like the look of the quilt after its done and washed, it looks old and crinkled and comfy.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:36 AM

I clip across each corner just about half an inch when washing and drying yardage. Smaller pieces go into a mesh bag.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by teddysmom View Post
On a recent thread, someone suggested using a pinking rotary cutter to stop all the tangling of thread from the other pieces. Anyone tried one?
Yes, I do the pinking first and it does help some. Won't eliminate all the threads but they sure are a lot better!