Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • wool batting? >
  • wool batting?

• wool batting?

Old 07-28-2012, 12:38 PM

Default wool batting?

The lady at the LQS told me that wool batting will make your quilt so soft and she uses it for most of her quilts. I have a king size quilt I am taking to have quilted. Just wondering what the best batting would be as the quilt is for my special DIL.
    Old 07-28-2012, 01:17 PM

Quilters Dream feels wonderful immediately. My friend recently bought a Hobb's when CT had all their batting on sale. Wasn't the immediate soft feel. Honestly, I have never used either.
    Old 07-28-2012, 01:25 PM

Wool batting is much warmer than cotton, so you might consider in what climate the quilt will be used.
    Old 07-28-2012, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by LadyElisabeth
    Wool batting is much warmer than cotton, so you might consider in what climate the quilt will be used.
    I agree best to decide the warmth you need.
    Old 07-28-2012, 02:51 PM

Wool batting is wonderful. We sleep under it all year, light weight and washes well.
    Old 07-28-2012, 03:25 PM
    Power Poster

i LOVE WOOL BATTING! it is lightweight, cool in summer, warm in winter (it breaths) it fluffs up wonderfully when laundered- it needles beautifully- machine or hand quilting it is great-
    i tend to use wool batts for many special quilts- heirloom ones- special gifts- i love Dream Wool- Hobbs wool is also very nice- if i could afford it i would probably always use it- but i do tend to keep it for the really special quilts- it does not shrink like cotton batts- is washable/dryable- the quilt that lives on my bed has a wool batt- i love that quilt when it first comes out of the dryer- it's so- fluffy-huggable
    Old 07-29-2012, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    i LOVE WOOL BATTING! it is lightweight, cool in summer, warm in winter (it breaths) it fluffs up wonderfully when laundered- it needles beautifully- machine or hand quilting it is great-
    i tend to use wool batts for many special quilts- heirloom ones- special gifts- i love Dream Wool- Hobbs wool is also very nice- if i could afford it i would probably always use it- but i do tend to keep it for the really special quilts- it does not shrink like cotton batts- is washable/dryable- the quilt that lives on my bed has a wool batt- i love that quilt when it first comes out of the dryer- it's so- fluffy-huggable
    I also love wool batting for the same reasons. Since I have 'found' wool batting, I don't use anything else - unless I am quilting a wall quilt. :-)
    Old 07-30-2012, 07:41 AM

I use wool fairly often (Hobbs) & love it... except that it really does beard, so be prepared for that when you use it. But the loft is wonderful. It's soft. It's warm. It gives a wonderful look to the quilting.