Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Do You Do With The Quilts You Make? >

What Do You Do With The Quilts You Make?

What Do You Do With The Quilts You Make?

Old 07-30-2012, 07:26 AM
Power Poster

Do we really need a reason for making quilts? I don't think so. My first quilt, and the only hand quilted one, went to my daughter who picked out the pattern and the colors, the second was a king-size quilt (expanded from a crib quilt my husband saw in a magazine and liked-just make more blocks, right?), then the left-over black was used for a bright blue and black irish chain for my son. After that - quilts for walls, cribs, beds, charity quilts, table runners, placemats, pot holders, the list goes on and on. Some I sell at craft fairs or for commission quilts- I've made several for others who want a special quilt for a baby or grandchild. The fabric talks to me, it jumps out at me when I am in a fabric store, right into my cart, and I take it home. Some fabric has aged (like fine wine) before it gets used, but quilting is my sanity, otherwise I would be in the "nut house", unable to cope. I don't really need a reason, the quilts always find a home.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:32 AM

most of mine I give away. I have 5 living children, lots grandkis and the 12th great grand one is due in Oct. My first one is on my bed (staying there)...besides quilts, I also make totes and give them away too. Once Istart a quilt, it tells me where it is going. Right now I have several whispering to me. smile....
Old 07-30-2012, 07:40 AM

in all the years and all the quilts, I have only 1 still in my possession...made for my dear sweet MIL. when she passed, it was returned to me.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:59 AM

in the last 15 years I've given away all the quilts I make to 2 charitable organizations. I know my quilts are appreciated by the recipients, they don't complain about colors or pattern. They're just happy to get something that belongs to them alone.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:10 PM

I think giving a quilt as a gift is "iffy". my mom gave me one years ago that has nothing to do with my style or color scheme of anything. I put it on the bed when she comes over. Also, many people today do not like the "Amish look", or the old fashioned look of most anything. They rather have a something in style. Unless you know the person very well and know their decorating style and color scheme, anything other than a small quilt for naps is taking a chance. I am making quilts for my grandkids. I would like to make one that reminds them of their interests as a child, then hopefully, one for when they are older in muted earth tones that will go with any decor. Table runners would be good, too, with a Holiday theme. Just my thoughts
Old 07-30-2012, 01:15 PM

Growing up, my Mammaw made quilts and we always had one on the bed. They were mostly scraps from the sewing factory she worked at. I don't know when it became popular to use a quilt as a bedspread, but when I was a kid, we used a sheet, then quilt, then bedspread. It wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if it a quilt that I gave had a bedspread on it. For the first year of my marriage, my husband and I had separate quilts because he liked a big heavy comforter and I didn't.

Originally Posted by janjim View Post
I think giving a quilt as a gift is "iffy". my mom gave me one years ago that has nothing to do with my style or color scheme of anything. I put it on the bed when she comes over. Also, many people today do not like the "Amish look", or the old fashioned look of most anything. They rather have a something in style. Unless you know the person very well and know their decorating style and color scheme, anything other than a small quilt for naps is taking a chance. I am making quilts for my grandkids. I would like to make one that reminds them of their interests as a child, then hopefully, one for when they are older in muted earth tones that will go with any decor. Table runners would be good, too, with a Holiday theme. Just my thoughts
Old 07-30-2012, 01:23 PM

Pretty much all of the above, except the person who lost some in a divorce. Still hanging with #1 husband. He's a model railroader, so he doesn't even ask. I don't ask what he's going to do with the gazillion model RR cars stored in dressers the kids left empty, and elsewhere in the house. Here's something you might say sweetly, "Honey, when I'm gone you can meet girls and invite them home to see your quilt collection, since you don't have any etchings!" Heeheehee
Old 07-30-2012, 06:59 PM

My first one that I started, not finished, not sure who will get that yet. The first major one that I am working on for my Civil War re-enactment will be used at camp and at home.
Then will be for the grandsons, I am going to use the clothes that I got when my Mom passed away, will be emotional for me, and then put her name in the corners.
I am hoping that I get a few others done for my grand daughters also.
After that, I am hoping to sell or auction them off as I go along.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:15 AM

nygal.....what a great idea.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:17 AM

Right now I am making smaller quilts for Isollette covers for our local Children's Hospital. That way I can try out different patterns and still keep my creative jiuces flowing and not have a 'ton' of quilt tops waiting to be given away.