Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
???Best most affordable filling for pincushions >

???Best most affordable filling for pincushions

???Best most affordable filling for pincushions

Old 08-17-2012, 05:37 PM

I've done a little research on antique pin cushions. I've learned that some were stuffed with horse hair. So I asked my husband to bring in some when he trimmed one of the horses mane. I cleaned/shampooed this really good and aired it outdoors for a time and stufffed a pin cushion for a gift. Other than that I found a source for metal filings online and they came with a scrap of fabric much like swim suit fabric to make the pouch. I really like this as it keeps the pins sharp. It was a little pricy for a small cushion but I prefer small near my machine.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Walnut shells as pincushion stuffing can be extremely dangerous to people with nut allergies. Make absolutely sure the recipient will not be affected. The shells, since they are wood, also dull pins and needles, as does sawdust to a lesser degree.

This warning has been discussed before but was deemed a non-quilting topic, so it got moved. Take a look.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/general...e-t125678.html

The ideal 'weighty' stuffing is emery sand (available on etsy) or, if that's not possible, something else from the 'mineral' category (as opposed to either 'animal' or 'vegetable').
Thanks. I was about to buy walnut shells and hadn't thought about the allegy issue. I need to stuff 16 pincushions before December. I have one stuffed with plastic pellets, but it won't keep needles sharp. So if my choice is emery sand, steel wool, or BBs, which would keep needles/pins sharpest? Anyone tried them all?
Old 08-18-2012, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by coopah View Post
Thanks. I was about to buy walnut shells and hadn't thought about the allegy issue. I need to stuff 16 pincushions before December. I have one stuffed with plastic pellets, but it won't keep needles sharp. So if my choice is emery sand, steel wool, or BBs, which would keep needles/pins sharpest? Anyone tried them all?
Emery sand would keep them sharper than the other two options you named, or most anything else for that matter. Because it's finer and mineral based, it surrounds the pin and removes all the burrs from all the sides.

Think like a carpenter. How do they sharpen their tools...with wood or with stone/metal? It's wood that dulls saws, chisels and other metal tools, so why wouldn't wood (sawdust, nut shells, etc) also dull pins and needles? Something to consider anyway.

Last edited by ghostrider; 08-18-2012 at 05:04 AM.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:56 AM

I have used sawdust for years. Pins go into the cushion so easily!! I won't use anything else. Try it!!
Old 08-18-2012, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by pioneerlady View Post
I've used steel wool soap pads for pin cushions. It keeps the needles and pins sharp and clean.
I would be afraid that if the pin cushion got wet the steel wool would rust.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:31 AM

Of all the pincushions that I have, I like the ones with sand in them the best. They are heavy, and stay in place, and they keep the needles sharp.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:45 AM

I agree with whomever said to make sure you issue a warning with any pincushion stuffed with walnut shells. There are a lot of people out there with nut allergies and the reaction is often quite severe. My DD has a nut allergy and would up in the emergency room from eating popcorn that had touched a cashew. SHe didn't know there were cashews in the bowl.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:15 AM
Banned

Earlier this year I bought myself a buckwheat hull pillow after
using my hubs pillow last year for two weeks.

When I bought the pillow I also bought a 5 lb bag of buckwheat hulls
but have not tried them yet. I am hoping they will work as my pillow
weights 16 lbs.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:25 AM

I use the crushed walnut shells that I got at a pet store. You have to be careful if using sand...some types will dull the needles instead of keeping them sharp.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:35 AM

Most places that do sand blasting use a sand like product called "silica sand" it is glass beads, heavy equipment shops and large truck shops also use this product, if you were to take them a small container they may give you a couple of cups full, and also may charge you a small fee, but so worth a try, or ask a mechanic that you know - my husband worked in a truck shop, and that is how I know about it. I also have found it at "Michaels". I make an inside bag for my pincushions out of fine muslin to encase the silica sand and then put a pretty cover on the outside. Silica sand is washable, and also sharpens your pins and needles. Best of luck with your pincushions.