Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • New machine purchase? >
  • New machine purchase?

• New machine purchase?

Old 08-23-2012, 03:02 AM

Just think of all those projects finished. If that doesn't work, repeat after me, "I deserve this Machine, I'm going to have this machine" Repeat this constantly until you believe it to be true. Failing that , I'll give you permission to have it. BTW did I mention I'm your fairy god mother. Good luck and Happy Quilting.
    Old 08-23-2012, 03:13 AM

AtHomeSewing, your reasoning is spot on! You've sold me. Actually I've never seen this machine or it's work. But I'd love to have one. I love what you said about the table saw and the lawnmower. What about those huge TVs? We gals tend to be too practical. That Sweet Sixteen would be just the machine for limited space.
    Old 08-23-2012, 04:34 AM

Have you looked at the Sunshine 16? About half the price. I just went around test driving. I test drove this one at the Milwaukee show and really liked it. http://www.sunshine16.com/
    Old 08-23-2012, 05:24 AM

I'm where you are--on the fence, a new Pfaff with a 10 inch throat or a Sweet Sixteen. My problem was basting--with bad knees, can't get on the floor anymore to baste it together. Watched Sharon Shambre's You Tube video on basting on a table with long 1 by 4 inch boards. (see hand basting a quilt top) It works with some modifications. Just demoed it yesterday to my class. That's what was holding me back from getting a sit down machine and not a LA. Still vacillating about which way to go--Pfaff or Sweet Sixteen. SandyQuilter
    Old 08-23-2012, 06:03 AM

Personally, I think its cheaper to have a few quilts a year sent out to a LAQ, than purchase a machine to quilt your own. Its an expensive machine to sit unused 360 days a year.
    Old 08-23-2012, 06:29 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

IF you have to justify it, better take a look at the reason you want it and do you have the space etc... Is it the cost? Will you absolutely use it ?
    Old 08-23-2012, 06:57 AM

I have looked and lusted at these machines also. As I do only quilting for a hobby and love giving them away to family and friends my saner mind takes over and I decide not to spend those dollars on the machine. I think I would feel so much remorse that I would not be able to enjoy it. So I just keep trying to learn to do better on my Janome.
    Old 08-23-2012, 07:14 AM

At the rate things are going up in price, I would make payments on it.
    Old 08-23-2012, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jerudy
    Don't want to send them out, the reason I made the quilt tops and wall hangings is so that I can quilt them myself. I just put off the quilting, with the mind set that someday I will get a long arm. Just trying to justify $5k for a hobby.
    Well, men want boats and cars and golf clubs and guns and model trains and on and on and on, and some probably also buy long arm machines....and all without all the worrying we women put into these things. You could be a hobby photographer and easily drop 5000 on that hobby - and in fact there is a humorous essay somewhere on just that - after buying so many items at less cost the total cost in the end is way more than that....hahahha...like working your way up through about twelve sewing machines.

Talk to your significant other and see whats what with a plan for payment, and if you can afford it and think you will use it, why not? I totally agree about the quilting - I don't even like patterns or piecing much - I LOVE Free Motion quilting! It is a lot of money, but factor it over lots of years of use, and you have cheap fun.
    Old 08-23-2012, 08:36 AM

Just bought one. I didn't need it because I always sent the tops out. I am determined to learn so have been playing with a top I hate and it will go in the M.H. I do have a problem with the stitch regulator. I will have to go back to the dealer about 40 miles away but in the meantime I am PLAYING and having fun with my new toy.
    P.S. I wanted a sit down, don't like to stand for long periods.

Last edited by linhawk; 08-23-2012 at 08:38 AM. Reason: added a P.S.