Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Murphy's Quilting Laws >

Murphy's Quilting Laws

Murphy's Quilting Laws

Old 08-25-2012, 05:24 PM

Your husband gives you an ultimatum to use up all that fabric or he's going too throw it out, and a friend brings you 2 more sacks of fabric.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by EmiliasNana View Post
I actually combined the dog fur with dirt in a baggie and took that to pick out the color of our carpeting ! Where there is a will, there is a way. : )
When we built our house, I actually took a small sample of the dirt road in front of our house and matched our carpet to it! Hey, we had 4 kids at the time. Now those 4 are grown and gone, so is the carpet and the dirt road.

After sewing on the l a s t border, the bobbin ran out 6 in. after starting it!
Old 08-25-2012, 06:18 PM

My problem is different than I have read. Working all week with ONE DAY OFF. You plan to work on your quilt all day. Then one child needs a ride to work, the other needs a ride to swim practice. Then you discover there is no milk or bread left---and your quick trip to the store takes 2 hours. Since the cell phone store is directly across the street from the gorcery store, you go in and complain that your phone is not working---that takes 30 minutes.
Now the child at swim practice needs to be picked up and dropped off at work.
You have not been home to plan anything for dinner...soooo you have to start chopping onion, etc..
By the time that you can get to that quilt, it is now 8 p.m. and you can't see straight!!!!!!!!!!!! This happens day after day at my house..so the quilt is still sitting on that table WAITING!!!!!
Old 08-25-2012, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by alwayslearning View Post
Just because as a quilter, you use a sewing machine, it does not mean you can alter clothing or sew a seam on a piece of leather.
Asking a quilter to mend is like asking a chef to wash the dishes.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by spokanequilter View Post
You are hanging that beautiful blue and yellow wallhanging in your daughter's room and all of a sudden you see that one small half square triangle that is rotated 1/4 turn from where it should be. You scream and then swear that you will never tell a soul since it's not that noticeable. Then your daughter comes in the next morning and says "Mom I couldn't sleep last night and I was counting the squares in that wallhanging, and did you know that......" well, whatever, it is what it is. Things happen.
A few years ago I had each of my 5th grade students tell me what they liked best..... pet, sport, hobby, color, etc. I told them it was so I could get to know them better. Then I cross stitched each of them a bookmark that reflected what they had told me, or was a play on their name (like RoseMary ended up with a rose....), and because I knew that the bookmarks weren't going to all be perfect I told them I'd put in a mistake into each one of them so they could always remember that their teacher had made it for them. They hooted over that, but they loved the fact that they each got something special, meant just for them. It was my way of winning despite Murphy's law. And yes, my heritage is Irish!
Old 08-26-2012, 07:03 AM

Ladies you have all hit the nail on the head with your comments... how true they are...
My thought of Murphy's Law... would be ... Running out of thread and finding this a ways down stitching and after unpinning
Old 08-26-2012, 01:41 PM

Here's my own personal "murphy's law" - Whatever I'm looking for, it is safely tucked away in a cardboard box. Safe. From myself, apparently!

The other one I have discovered, I get a "2 pack" of fabrics, love one, HATE the other. Never did find a use for the "love it" fabric, now wish I had additional pieces of the "hate it" fabric! Color wise, by itself, it was nasty, but combined with my favorite very bright pinks and orange tie-dies, it's so perfect it just makes you smile! And I just can't bring myself to give babies the "pale" colors, I think they all need bright and cheerful. So I make myself happy, making something cheerful and bright for them!

Out of every other post, what is it with the bobbin thing! I have 3 machines, they each use a different "size" bobbin. I NEVER thought about comparing bobbin size and style when shopping! And why do they all run out of thread just at the beginning or end of that LONG row? I seldom let the cats near my sewing area, their hair gets into everything and they are just dumb enough to EAT the thread off the ROLLING bobbin.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:30 PM

You are binding the quilt and carefully fold the binding. After you stitch the corner, you discover both layers are stitched together and you can't fold the corner to hand stitch it and have to take out 8 inches to make it work and start over.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:34 PM

The tension of your machine is messed up and you move to the backup machine only to find it is worse.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
Having spent ages drawing several intricate shapes for your appliqué masterpiece, you iron them on to the right side of the fabric.
LOl..! I just did this one the other day! I am really enjoying this thread! I can really relate to almost all of these!