Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
The Mother in Law quilt that took 12 years >

The Mother in Law quilt that took 12 years

The Mother in Law quilt that took 12 years

Old 08-27-2012, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by debcavan View Post
It really started out as a demo for stack and whack. I bought 6 vest panels at $1 each for a cheap demo. But I got hooked and it slowly turned into a 104 x immense quilt.

What took so long was I only worked at it twice a year at my Mother In Law's house. It has it's own suitcase. I fussy cut most of the patches using Pandoras Box stencils by Shar Jorgensen (sp.?) which allowed me to have the six sided patch with triangles be the same size as the motif made with six diamonds.

Then after the top was completed it was so huge I didn't want to try to quilt it with my 7 1/4" opening on my machine. But the long arm made "short" work of it. Actually quilting on it took18 hours That is a lot on a longarm. I quilt totally freehand. Now after 12 years I have to find the matching fabric for the binding. Or black would work.
That is so cool. I purchased the vest panels and made a vest from them to wear to school when I was teaching. My first grade students loved it, I padded some of the areas, did the same on a Halloween vest with the witch and cat padded. I love your quilt. Did you happen to think of using an orange fab. for the binding, that would make it pop I think. Looks great and I'm sure your MIL will love the finished quilt. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:49 AM

Your hard work and time paid off, it's beautiful.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:36 AM

You have made a masterpiece... thats for sure. i am in awe of the time you took with the fussy cutting and piecing.... Its really beautiful.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:02 AM

wow! so creative with the fussy cutting! Beautiful quilting - well worth the wait!
Old 08-28-2012, 06:27 AM

Beautiful work!
Old 08-28-2012, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

Yeah, I walked right to matching rust colored fabric in my stash. I couldn't believe it. It is the same color just a different print which no one will even notice since it is so small. Thank you all for your suggestions and all your kind comments. s

The quilt was only worked on at my Mother In laws but it does not match anything in her house. I show quilts at nursing homes so if I get the binding on this next week, it will have it's first showing in two weeks at a nursing home I have not shown quilts at before. The residents love traditional best. Then after a few traditional, I sneak in a few landscape quilts. They love the ones with the birds the best. So many are birdwatchers.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:51 AM

Wow that is BEAUTFUL !!!!!!!!!!! I love it. Ive been wanting to try that stack and wack. One day. Your quilting is so nice too. Your Mother in law must be soooo proud of you. Aloha blossom
Old 08-29-2012, 03:29 AM

Never in a month of Sundays would I have thought this was vest panels. Well done this is awesome!
Old 08-30-2012, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
WOW! I can't believe those vests turned into such a gorgeous quilt.
Me neither! I would've never thought to use them (tho I have used a length of pre-printed cheater fabric), but they turned into a GORGEOUS quilt! I love fall colors anyway & this is the perfect example of why! Great job!
Old 08-30-2012, 02:57 PM

I wouldn't have thought to do that! I love it. Thanks for sharing!