Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you want to have someone mention it to you? >

Would you want to have someone mention it to you?

Would you want to have someone mention it to you?

Old 08-31-2012, 04:10 AM

I would really appreciate it if I was told about a mistake. I did make two star quilts and would you know, both had one star point wrong. Of course I found it when they were quilted and bound. They were gift for two very special nuns that taught me in school. Both loved the quilts even with the goofs. So sometime, goofs are special too.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:32 AM

I would definitely want to know. i would also appreciate if the error was presented to me in a friendly manner!!!
Old 08-31-2012, 05:47 AM

Yes, if you told me before it was quilted, if afterwards - I must likely already saw it and have chaulked the "error" up to artistic blunder
Old 08-31-2012, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by mimisharon View Post
I would want to know. I have had help from quilters here on the board when trying to arrange the blocks for a quilt and so appreciate the help. (Madquilter I think you helped me with a couple. )

It's wonderful to have the planning board and to take pictures and look them over carefully before beginning the sewing together but it happens sometimes.
Sharon - glad to see you back on the board! And I agree with you. I think I'd pm the person unless she is asking for suggestions or help.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:20 AM

If you paid to have this work done, you definately say something, as it sounds like shoddy work to me. If it was done free. wellllllll.....then maybe you could fix it. smile.

Originally Posted by QuiltingCrazie View Post
Mistakes are what make a quilt custom! I would want to know but I always recommend taking a picture of a top before you quilt it you would be surprised as the difference of what you can see in the picture, I always take several while I'm planning the layout it's amazing. I have a deeper question....what if it's the quilting that makes that ruins the quilt?? Do you say anything especially when you know the quilter and you know they consider themselves a top notch professional? You know they produce beautiful work so image the shock when they leave 10inch un quilted which makes all the blocks puff out and look like a wrinkled mess, different colored bobbin on part by mistake but left and uneven quilting all over? Represented a group gift to another quilter....I'm still in shock from it and we said nothing because no one could find the words.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:23 AM

I letr everyone know ahead of time that there will be mistakes. LOL....that's what makes it home made. and they love them anyway.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by rush88888 View Post
i would like to know and hopefully before quilting. after quilting, it just becomes "the bastard block" as we say in our circle of quilters. it is the block that keeps us humble.
I like that phrase. I think I will use it next time I critique my own work.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:01 AM

Yes, I would want someone to tell me that one block was not laying correctly.

My LAQ's son(10 yrs old) found a block that I had laying different. I had not seen it and neither did the LA as she was putting it on the quilting frame. And yes, I did take the quilt apart and get it right. I don't care what the quilt police say but I do appreciate someone letting me know before I put money into the quilting and finally finding the mistake.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:04 AM

You bet, I would definitely want to know! I would want to be able to fix it.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
if it's a 'glaring error' i already know about it. would have already decided to 'fix it' or leave it before the quilt was finished. if i left it i decided it was (artistic license) and my choice to make it that way
I'm the one who made a "witches' face" out of boulders in my Yosemite quilt and gave it to my nephew and his wife. When the word about the face got to me (several months later) I was astounded, then crushed. Once it is pointed out to you it is there for everafter. Since I'm not particularly outstanding, I suspect there are a lot of people who make great errors and don't notice them themselves. Ever try to proof read your own writing?