Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you get started? >

How do you get started?

How do you get started?

Old 08-31-2012, 12:00 PM

Well have a go... Don't worry it will be beautiful! I know you must love homemade quilts. They are all beautiful!
I have trouble finishing. No problem starting.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:08 PM

Thank you. I've really enjoyed it so far. I liked learning how to use a rotary cutter (on scraps). I enjoyed making the magic squares and had I been more experienced, I would probably have done a turn and got the birdie boxes up the right way, before I stitched and cut the fabric. My friend says she likes the abstract look. I'm now sitting watching Midsomer Murders and eating my sandwich and drinking a glass of wine with hubby as he's home from work. I'm thinking of hand quilting the large square in the middle of the top. I'll be ok when the urge comes, it's just a bit scary getting this far.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:23 PM

Oh boy! Can I relate!! I've posted about the baby quilt I'm trying to finish-top and back are done, need to put together and quilt and I am paralyzed! This was started several years ago and I haven't sewn much since. Tell you what, let's join hands and just jump in!!! (Cutting into new fabric is also a terrifying task!!)
Old 08-31-2012, 12:32 PM

I seem to get stuck in the middle. Do a lot of quilts for charity, production quilting. Reach a certain step in a pile of baby quilts I am doing and like, run out of gas. And we are talking strip quilting here, nothing fancy or too complicated for my short attention span.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
You're not alone. I have much more trouble starting a project than I do finishing one. For me the hard part is making the decision of WHAT to start. I have so many fabrics, so many patterns, so many ideas, and picking one is hard for me. Maybe I should just give up and start 5 projects (or 10? or 15?) at once - maybe that would be easier than picking just one? But I would still have to get off the computer and get started...
That's my problem in a nutshell, too! I dunno why I'm so obstinant about starting something, except that I'm just overwhelmed by my choices. I'm about 7/8 done with a quilt now & I almost dread finishing it (tho I'll be super glad to have it out of my hair finally) because then I need to start on another one. One for my DH? My DD? A charity quilt? Argh! And yes, like you... if I'd get off the 'puter & just get on with it...

One thing I really like about the virtual quilting day we have here every month is that it gives me someone to be accountable to & that helps me.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:59 PM

I do that with a number of things. I get a project in mind. Be it a quilt, building my garden, repairing a sticking door, installing shelves, it can be anything. Once I have all my needed items for the task, I have to take some time and mull it over in my brain until I am ready to actually start to work. It's like I have to feel 'ready'. Then once I start, I go gang busters at it. So give yourself some slack, get everything together, and then start when your ready.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:49 PM

You sound exactly like me. I think my reasoning is because it is all the way downstairs and I find so much else that should be done. I forget to give myself the luxury of spending as much time as I want to quilting. DH works long hours and extra days during the week, and I don't work (YET!) so I can spend most of the day down there. I think too I just hate to cut up the fabric. Once the first cut is done, it is easier as then I have a goal-I won't let UFO's sit around. I had to get expanded cable in the sewing room so that I had no excuse anymore to stay upstairs and do household things because now I can get the Hallmark channel anytime.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:07 PM

Well, I'm sort of both: I have great ideas, then second guess myself about whether the colour choices are exactly right, but once I get going that 's okay, only to find myself side tracked 3/4 of the way thru for one reason or another.

Okay girl, get off your computer and START THAT QUILT!! You KNOW you really want to!
Old 08-31-2012, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
I have no trouble starting . . . IF I buy fabric specifically for a certain pattern. My trouble is drawing from my stash. "Oh, there's too much of that one and I don't want to waste." "That one would make a nice dress for DD/DGD." "I really love this piece, so should save it for something more special." "I don't have coordinating fabric, for that one." The list goes on and on.
Neesie, you took the works right out of my mouth. This is me 100% So, right now I'm working from my stash only. I have a few Christmas quilts to get done which will use a lot of my stash. I even have a pattern picked out for MINE that I will be making after the first of the year.. that is the plan.. now to stick to it. Ok, get started woman!! You will feel better once you START!
Old 08-31-2012, 08:04 PM

I have no problem starting a quilt once I get it cut...I will get all the blocks sewn and then when I need to cut borders, it gets put away and for each border, it seems I stall around and then it becomes a UFO. I hate cutting and I also have shoulder and hand problems...that is my story and I am sticking to it.

Now get in there and get that quilt cut so you can start.