Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Hand Quilting >

Hand Quilting

Hand Quilting

Old 08-28-2012, 05:47 AM

I'm a beginner hand quilter and your quilts are beatiful. I like it because it is relaxing and it is so much more personal and rewarding.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:40 AM

Rhuelina they are just stunning, and so many of them, how long does it take you to do one.
I would really like to know the answer please. well done again.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:42 PM

I am awed by your work. I could never produce such wonderful quilts. I machine quilt because of the pain in my hands from arthritis and fibromyalgia. I can't even sit at the machine very long. Even though I've been sewing all my life, I can only dream of your kind of talent. Just beautiful!!
Old 09-04-2012, 11:49 PM

First let me say how esquisite your handwork is. I wish I would have known a hand quilter when I was a young girl. As it is, I'm just really starting this craft/skill in my 50's and pretty much learn as I go or online classes. I would love to learn what you do. I think hand crafts like this are very relaxing. I cross-stitch and I love it. My personal belief is that these skills aren't passed down to younger generations because we are in such a hurry to do things.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:12 AM

your quilts are amazing...i would never be able to do that by hand....you are extremelt talented!
Old 09-05-2012, 07:01 AM

I love your quilting it is very beautiful. I also hand quilt as that was what I was taught to do and it is very calming. I enjoy looking at the quilts that people put on here because it gives me so much inspiration. I also like to make up my own pattern and then admire what I did. pat myself on the back so to speak lol. Thank you for sharing. I was just wondering the other day if anyone still did hand quilting as I see so much machine quilting.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:26 PM

Unbelievably beautiful work! Wow!!! I'm so impressed!!!
Old 09-05-2012, 06:51 PM

When I learned to quilt it was hand quilting. I have only done a little machine quilting on a couple of doll quilts, but once I get some confidence with it I would use my dsm for quilts that might get a lot of wear, like every day lap or child's quilt. My daughter asked me to make her one and I'm working on it. I gave her the choice of how it would be quilted and she said hand quilted of course- so I will. I think there is room for both. I agree that in a quilt show hand quilting should be a separate category. I think its use and the receipiant could be part of the determining factor. If someone has little care if it is hand quilted, and would treat it like a store bought blanket than I would do the machine quilting as it goes faster. And I guess I would seriously consider if I would even make them one. But I would gladly hand quilt for someone who would appreciate and care for a hand quilted quilt. But with machine quilting I could get more of the ones I want to make done.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:10 PM

Your quilts are beautiful, but I know my kids and grandkids will just throw them in the washer and let the dogs get on them. So no, even if I knew how, I wouldn't do it.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:33 PM

Wow, you do amazing work. I have started my quilt all by hand and people at our county fair kept feeling between the top and the bottom to look at the stitches and can't believe that I did over 800+ squares by hand. This is my first quilt and now I just have to figure on how to tie the top to the bottom to keep it period correct for the 1860s.
I love the butterflies and the star and circle ones. How long does it take you to do a hand quilt?