Mosquitos

Old 09-13-2012, 03:09 AM
Vat

I know we have had several cases of West Nile Virus in Alabama but I have seen only two (2) mosquitos in our area, I killed both. We really don't have many this year. We are on a smalll farm and have horses and it has not been a problem so far this year.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:25 AM

I hate to hear people saying "Spray" - poison kills more than just mosquitos. Be sure to eliminate any standing water where they breed. Of course if you have neighbors, there may not be much you can do.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:27 AM

The mosquitoes here have been horrible this year. They even bite me and I rarely get bit. I take garlic everyday and bugs just don't like me. I try to stay away from DEET it can be just as dangerous for some. I think one of the problems is we have used so many chemicals over the years we have created bugs that no longer care what we spray. We have a drainage ditch running though our back yard. And we can't do anything about that. Fleas have been crazy too.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:31 AM

In addition to spraying, try tucking a BOUNCE sheet in your pocket, in the brim of your straw hat, and rub the sheet on your ears and hands. Wear long sleeves, socks and shoes, long pants: you get the picture! Good luck.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:56 AM

I use dryer sheets by rubbing on clothing, ankles, exposed flesh when outside. We have a lot of them around here, but the powers that be do spray for them regularly. The dryer sheets (cheapest ones), repel them and other flying insects.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

We have had warnings about them in Ontario this year too. I remove all standing water and don't go out at dawn or dusk. If I do have to go out, I spray my clothes with Off. I have only had 3 bites so far this summer. I get a really nasty skin reaction to the bite so I am super careful. Symptoms of West Nile appear 3 to 14 days after a bite if the mosquito is infected.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:35 AM

Yes, we have had warnings of the West Nile virus around here also. I just am amazed at the amount of mosquitos and the size. I suppose because of the warm weather we had, hot dry summer and then some rains, it has helped the little suckers to thrive. As soon as we have a frost they will die, I hope.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:23 AM

Put on repellant and wear long sleeved shirts and stay in they are most active(early morning and early evening. When I lived in Alabama, I sprayed our bedrooms with aerosol in case any came in the house. There is something that you can attach to your clothing that repells bugs, maybe a couple in each bedroom. Good luck.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:49 AM

Being from the land of the bugs and humidity and WestNile virus, I too would welcome a freeze, but we don't get many very cold days even in winter (one of our 2 seasons) -- supposedly the reason for so many mosquitos is that last winter was quite mild and it didn't get down to freezing here but once, I think-- I am sick of putting on bug spray every time I go outside, but it is a necessity along with emptying standing water and spraying -- and after watching the geekos at nite, they don't eat mosquitos (they like little white moths the best) -- and don't really want bats and rabies either -- thus the sticky, smelly Deet-loaded insect repellent -- take care!!
Old 09-13-2012, 01:21 PM

Here in Australia Vitamin B patches are sold as a healthy alternative to insect repellant. They really seem to work. I am rarely troubled by biting bugs but I routinely take a Vitamin B complex as a daily supplement. Another suggestion put to us when doing an extended camping trip up through the centre of Aus. was to eat Vegemite each day. This is a yeast extract spread mostly used on toast. This is again high in Vitamin B. However it is also very salty so is an aquired taste, but can be used in gravy and casseroles to enrich the flavour. Those in the UK have a similar spread I believe called Promite and also Marmite.
I would rather rely on natural deterrents rather than more poison which affects us as well as the insects. Good luck with your mossie seaon!!!