Mosquitos

Old 09-13-2012, 01:31 PM

I have heard if you plant mint around your doors you won't have flies or skeeters.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:21 PM

Here are the instructions to prevent the spread of mosquitoes that were printed in our Texas newspaper:
1. Get rid of old tires, tin cans, bottles, jars, buckets and potted plant containters, and other containers where water collects.
2. Fill in holes in trees with cement.
3. See that cisterns, cesspools, septic tanks, rain barrels and tubs in which water is stored are tightly covered.
4. Empty and thoroughly WASH bird baths, flower vases and plastic wading pools once each week.
5. Repair leaky pipes and outside faucets.
6. Keep eaves and drain gutters cleaned and unclogged so water runs off properly and dissipates.
7. Empty, clean and refill watering pans for pets, livestock, and chickens daily.
8. Examine flat roofs after rains to be sure no water remains standing on them.
9. Drain stagnant puddles of water.
10. Keep weeds and shrubs trimmed and the lawn mowed.
11. Drain and clean rock garden pools once each week or keep small fish in them.
For those who venture outside, personal protection is highly recommended by wearing appropriate clothing and insect repellent contyaining DEET. Mosquitoes are most active at dawn and dusk, so residents are urged to stay indoors at those times. If a person develops a fever and headache for more than 24 hours, it is recommended they consult a physician.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

Just heard on the news, itz gonna be a bad autumn with them on the island
Old 09-13-2012, 04:26 PM

Something that seems to work for us, is a large Box fan. When you are on the deck or in the back yard, point it so that the
breeze comes over the area where you are sitting or whatever. The "wind" it creates will keep them away.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:04 PM

We here in Wisconsin have more than usual, and they are even in the hot sun. I put a downy dryer sheet in my pocket, spray my arms & legs, and they bite anyway, so when I come in, I soak a cotton ball with plain old house hold vinegar and the itching stops at once, so what if I small like a pickle.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:06 PM

We here in Wisconsin have more than usual, and they are even in the hot sun. I put a downy dryer sheet in my pocket, spray my arms & legs, and they bite anyway, so when I come in, I soak a cotton ball with plain old house hold vinegar and wipe it over the bites and the itching stops at once, so what if I smell like a pickle.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:25 PM

Last Sunday, I got two mosquito bites on my left leg at knee. Was outside but near a huge reservoir with a cool breeze. Didn't even notice them until after I took my bath that night. This afternoon was a DGD's softball game at 3:00 pm...water nowhere around, got 3 new mosquito bites on SAME leg. I was wearing capris which covered the bite areas. Wonder why they liked my LEFT leg rather than my RIGHT leg????????

I take Vitamin B shots so that's not helping!! My DDIL actually had West Nile Virus about 4 years ago...took her almost 18 months to fully recover and that was with treatments every day and then every other day for months.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:37 PM

Here on Long Island we're getting eaten alive even in the middle of the day. This is definitely the worst year that I've seen since I've been here. I check the yard almost every day for standing water and I don't have any. I think my neighbors somewhere probably have some. Some of the ones I've seen this year are stripped. Not just black. So gross. I hate mosquitos.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:23 AM

yes but the worst is to have one in bed with you at night. You are just drifting off to sleep when you hear that annoying high pitched whine. I will gladly slap myself silly in the dark if I think I am killing one.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by MarLeClair View Post
Does anyone else have an abundance of mosquitos around your house. They make my skin crawl. They are hanging ont he screens, on the side of the house and walking out in the yard they look about as bad as the dandolines when the winds starts blowing. Now I'm itching again. Can't wait til the first freeze!
BE CAREFUL! A relative contracted the WEST NILE VIRUS and passed away a couple weeks ago! BE CAREFUL OF MOSQUITOES!!!