Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Moving to Florida soon Need advice >

Moving to Florida soon Need advice

Moving to Florida soon Need advice

Old 09-14-2012, 07:37 AM

Thanks again for the advice! Q-tips??? I have been on the internet so much I am wearing out the keyboard, and I am not that good at using the thing. Getting lots of research done. I like the POD idea, or getting my stuff here and storing it til we find a place. Daughter is sending resumes and making contacts so we can find a place to start. From the sounds of it she should not have too much trouble finding work.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:50 AM
KLO

You've already gotten a lot of advice so I will try to be short and sweet. We lived in FL for a very short time but it is too hot for too long with the threat of too many hurricanes and too expensive insurance for house and cars for us. However, I think if I were to move back (not that that is going to happen), I would look into Mt. Dora. It was such a cute town and there was a lovely lake (I think it was a lake?) there. I visited a quilt shop but I am not sure it is still there. If you look into Ocala you will find that it is beautiful horse country and has Silver Springs (is that the right name?) where the glass bottom boats are. You can buy a pass for the season and see great concerts, use the water park, and see the other goings on. So, good luck with your health issue and hope you find just the right place for your comfort and fabric buying.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:44 PM

Try Panama City Beach-we lived there 9 years-loved it but wanted to be closer to Grandson, and families-so we left for Tennessee-but would go back in a heartbeat-The Club apartments is were we lived-pet friendly, and can grpw things in the yard-I think
Old 09-15-2012, 08:19 AM

DD and family just moved there in early August. So far they don't like it. Too hot and humid. Pool water was warm...not refreshing. They had to find a rental that took dogs and most of them had a max. weight of 20-25 lbs. They have a labrador retriever...realtor had never heard of the breed, but they got the rental anyway. Will be looking for another place. House is too small for 5 people and a dog. Rent is over $2K/mo. It is a gated comm. in the Ft. Lauderdale area. She tells me that she hasn't found a store clerk yet that speaks English...and honestly, she doesn't have a prejudiced bone in her body. She hope her DH's job lasts 2-3 yrs and then possible transferr to either MA or WA. She is already preparing to return to NH for Christmas and the summer. She had lived there before and didn't like it, but that is where her DH found work. We hope to get there for Thanksgiving. My DH and I have medical issues but FL is probably the last place I would look to move....I don't do heat and humidity very well. Good luck.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:58 PM

The Villages in central FL. is a great place - everything is handy and lots of fun things to do and great folks. Check them out online.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:30 PM

Here's an idea to think about. When we moved from California to Oklahoma,we rented a 50 ft moving van. We packed our own boxes and load the truck ourselves. The truck company provided the driver and we had an agreed upon time for the arrival of the truck at the new address. We unloaded the truck ourselves. Even paying for hired help to load and unload we saved thousands of dollars over just having a moving company move us and NOTHING WAS BROKEN!!!! I would do it again in a heart beat!
Old 09-15-2012, 05:36 PM

This is much like the idea of the POD but you can keep the POD for a monthly rate in a secured climate controlled storage building and it is locked with a lock that YOU supply so only you can access the inside load. If it takes longer than you think to find the place where you want to live, you don't have to unload into a storage facility and reload to get your things back into a truck to move your things to your home. You do your own packing and loading or hire help to load/unload.

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
Here's an idea to think about. When we moved from California to Oklahoma,we rented a 50 ft moving van. We packed our own boxes and load the truck ourselves. The truck company provided the driver and we had an agreed upon time for the arrival of the truck at the new address. We unloaded the truck ourselves. Even paying for hired help to load and unload we saved thousands of dollars over just having a moving company move us and NOTHING WAS BROKEN!!!! I would do it again in a heart beat!
Old 09-16-2012, 01:28 AM

You want my advice re your move to FL? DON'T! We lived in Orlando (well, Lake Mary) for 6 months & that was all I could take. The heat, the humidity, the bigs (OMG!), the mold, the crime, the traffic (we'd moved there for Wichita so it wasn't like I wasn't used to city traffic), the cost of food. I hated hated hated it! There was a nice quilt shop in Sanford but the rest of the state? No thank you. I, however, would move back to Albuquerque in a New York minute!
Old 09-19-2012, 08:37 PM

I'm so glad i came on tonight.We are planning on becoming snowbirds.I live in the mountains, south central Colorado.I hope starting in February and stay threw May?We just can't stand the cold and snow anymore.We plan on staying in Venice Florida.I hope it works out for you.Connie in CO