Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Another Reason to Make Warm Quilts >

Another Reason to Make Warm Quilts

Another Reason to Make Warm Quilts

Old 09-23-2012, 06:34 AM
Swap Hosts

Default Another Reason to Make Warm Quilts

Remember reading about the deep freeze that set in between 1793-1830? Well, it looks like we might be in for another one! Time to break out the wool batting! Story here
Old 09-23-2012, 06:49 AM

I may have to rethink my Warm & White!
Old 09-23-2012, 07:27 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

To think of even colder winters surviving in this ancient cottage does not make me happy!

I've been blessed to have made adaptations each winter to improve the chill I felt my first year here, but the place IS over 200 years old, after all, and is not known to have been built for 'tightness' or warmth to begin with. It was the kitchen, and that alone was supposed to have made it bearable, LOL!

Who in those days in the south cared much about the poor cook who apparently lived in the loft upstairs right under the un-insulated roof. I can only imagine how many "quilts" she must have slept on and under. And how many times she had to trek down the narrow, steep stairs at night to stoke the cook fires.

The wing I have as my bedroom was added much later, late 1980s, and is a DIY job at its most "minimal" skill level. The floor tilts at a noticeable level to the outside corner where I have my armoire against the wall. The closet backs to the front porch wall and is cold in the winter. No door, only a drape covers it. My feet freeze all winter so I am never without with socks AND shoes until the minute I put my feet under the covers in bed that I now first warm up with the electric blanket, gift from my sweet daughter. Getting up to tinkle is a real treat, LOL!

Nope, do not want to even think about the 'great minimum'.

Jan in VA -- wishing about moving to south Florida!!
Old 09-23-2012, 08:22 AM

Jan: you need to get busy and make large scrap utility quilts and cover all those outside walls!
Beauty and quilted insulation will really help!

I'll stay in Florida! You should hear us whine when we get two cold days together! I don't leave the house if it's less than 50 degrees!
Old 09-23-2012, 08:46 AM

Here in SC Texas what few cold days we get are a welcome break from the to hot long summers we get here. We know they will not last long. I make most of my quilts with a very thin batting or they are to hot to use.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

​That sounds like good news to me because the glacier ice could sure use colder temperatures to recover. Some countries depend on the ice for their water and it does not look good with Global Warming.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:46 AM

Jan, I bet you have awesome views where you are!! I live in Central FL and it used to be when we first moved down we wouldn't golf with temps under 55 - 55 was sweatshirt weather in MI. Well now I need a sweatshirt at 75 degrees! NOT looking forward to any freezing temps!! AND we do get a few freezing temps some winters.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:55 AM

My husband read in the Farmers Almanac this morning that we are expected to a "bad" winter. No idea to the truth or validity of it.

As for the coming years ... I am FINALLY going to start making quilts for ME as soon as this baby quilt is done. People need to stop A) getting cancer (chemo quilts), B) getting married, C) buying homes, and D) having babies - because I've done nothing but GIFT quilts to others since I began quilting about 6 years ago.

note: the getting cancer needs to stop for all the other reasons as well!!
Old 09-23-2012, 11:45 AM

All mine are made to be extra toasty. If I am not totally cozy under a quilt I can't sleep.

For a little more insurance that I sleep well I have an electric blanket under my quilt.

Also, it doesn't take much to warm this house. It has 6" of insulation all the way around. The walls, ceiling and floors and storm windows.

Last edited by Chasing Hawk; 09-23-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:13 PM

Interesting note on the people whose website the OP linked to.
http://issuepedia.org/Space_and_Science_Research_Center

I think I will wait and see what happens!