Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have a huge weird quilting question that Im completely lost on??? >

I have a huge weird quilting question that Im completely lost on???

I have a huge weird quilting question that Im completely lost on???

Old 09-30-2012, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by rosiewell View Post
i use blue painter tape, it works great on carpets, you may have use a bit more than you would on a floor. for larger quilts I use my dining room table, I bast half or 1/4 of the quilt and then the next, I had had no problems with wrinkles on the backing. As they say, if there is a will there is a way!
I have always used blue painter's tape and wouldn't use anything else. I baste my quilts on my cutting table and tape each section of backing as I pin. The painter's tape can be removed easily and re-used on the next section of the quilt. It leaves no residue on your fabric or table.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:54 PM

I have a carpeted floor and find that I don't need to anchor the quilt down, seems to stick to the carpet quite nicely!!
Old 10-01-2012, 02:49 AM

Have you tried the walls? Protect them first and you will find it easier to do it on a wall.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:14 AM

i have a king size bed and have found that as long as it is a double size or smaller i can lay the material on the bed , smooth it out and layer / sandwich my quilt easily .... i slide my cutting mat behind the fabric to baste or pin and have had not problems with wrinkles.... is easier on my back too... it works for me
Old 10-01-2012, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by quilticing View Post
Use Sharon Shambers' method or quilt as you go. I used to use my table. Start on one side, let the excess layers hang off the other side. Baste the space on the table then smooth the next portion and baste and so forth till it's all basted.
This would be my suggestion... Hope you can find a way that is not too hard on your back!! The next best suggestion would be to ask the library or your church for a space? I've also done this...
Old 10-01-2012, 05:22 AM

I go to my church, when they are not busy using a room and put two large tables together and do it that way. Easier on the back and knees. I also use painters tape, works great.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:32 AM

I use 505 spray with great results. If you can use a church, Senior Center etc. I would take all the quilts and a friend to help hold the fabric. Lay down the back then the batting. Lay half the batting back and spray the baking. Smooth well from the center out. Lift other side and repeat. Then smooth all the batting well. Add the top in the same manner. After the top is flat, turn over to smooth out the back. Done. This will hold together well even while free motion quilting!
Old 10-01-2012, 05:34 AM

For years, and I mean years, I've pinned my quilting to carpet. Never used duct tape. Pin the backing (wrong side up) across one end (squared up to the wall) and place the pins in at an angle with the heads over the carpet not the quilt. Pin the opposite side, then do one side and finally, the last side. The backing should now be pinned to the carpet under SLIGHT tension. Float the batt down, centering it on the backing. Do NOT pin the batting. Finally float the top over the batt (right side up), centering it. Remove one pin at a time and place into the top. Pin in the same manner as the backing. When all done, you should have the quilt sandwich pinned to the carpet under slight tension. Starting at a narrow edge, remove one pin at a time and begin basting. I baste in serpentine rows about 4-inches apart. Use a basting thread that removes easily (Coats & Clark has one) called Basting Thread (duhh). Continue the rows of basting removing the pins as you progress up the quilt and rolling the quilt as you go. When all done, the pins are gone and the quilt sandwich is ready to quilt. Never had any shifting with this method, nor has the backing rippled. I've done both hand and machine quilting using this method. Good luck.
SandyQuilter
Old 10-01-2012, 07:17 AM

don't give up the ship. We downsized and the only way I could sandwich a quilt was on the entry tile floor. The problem is that my knees wouldn't take it. Solution: Went to the library and borrowed their meeting room for about 2 hours, used their 6foot tables (put 2 together) and sandwiched all the quilts in a couple of hours. I did use spray adhesive to put them together. Other options are a rec center, church meeting room, or buy two tables and put out on the driveway to sandwich the quilts. Remember the adage...where there is a will there is a way...Good Luck.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:23 AM

I use basically the same method as SandyQuilter but instead of lining it up against a wall I begin by putting one pin at the top center of the backing, then at the bottom center using slight tension but not enough to distort the fabric. Then pin from the middle out to each corner. Next pin the two other sides, again working from the middle out. Next lay your batting on top & gently smoothing it out flat. Then lay your quilt top (right side up) on top of the batting, centering it and gently smoothing it out flat. Pin all the layers together with the bent safety pins - leaving them open for now. Once all the safety pins are in place, remove the T-pins from around the backing. Now you can carefully pick up the quilt sandwich and lay it across your lap to close the safety pins.