Featherweight Question

Old 09-28-2012, 09:36 PM

In order to let you know if that is a good price, is to know the condition. Is there a case? Are there any attachments? It sounds like a very good price in CA if it is in good condition and it runs. But if there is a lot of work needed - don't other.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:51 AM

I just bought a FW (my first, and will be my only) from a sewing center that is closing shop.......it has a lot of feet, and three bobbins and carrying case and I paid $200. I think that was a good deal. It works, I tried it when I came home, but the stitches are a bit tight...I am seeing pokies of the bobbin thread on the top....and the top thread seems to be a bit too tight. I tried adjusting the top tension to a lower number, down to 2, still pokies and top thread tight...any other suggestions? It took me about three times of threading it and having the thread break instead of make a stitch before I thought to try threading needle from right to left and that made the difference......one thing it did not have-a manual-is there a source for one
Old 10-01-2012, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
It works, I tried it when I came home, but the stitches are a bit tight...I am seeing pokies of the bobbin thread on the top....and the top thread seems to be a bit too tight. I tried adjusting the top tension to a lower number, down to 2, still pokies and top thread tight...any other suggestions? It took me about three times of threading it and having the thread break instead of make a stitch before I thought to try threading needle from right to left and that made the difference......one thing it did not have-a manual-is there a source for one
Geri, It sounds like you should probably be adjusting the bobbin case tension at this point. Your aim should be to have the stitch balanced at about 4.5 when the machine is threaded with 50 weight thread.

I use a 1oz weight, tie it to the bobbin thread and hang it from the bobbin in the bobbin case. The thread should be -just- ready to come out of the bobbin case when you turn the case vertical. If that's where it's set to, someone disassembled the top tension and didn't set it right. There are instructions in the manual for that.

The manual can be found here:
http://ismacs.net/free-sewing-machine-manuals-list.html
There are 12 of them to pick from.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:29 PM

$250 is not a great price for an average FW I mean one that has seen normal use. I have 4 or 5 and have paid from $25 up to too many $$. Make sure it has the bobbin case, I bought a 301 once with out the bobbin case and a bobbin case cost more than I gave for the machine.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:18 PM

Mine cost $350 came with the orginal case and all the accessories and the key for the case they wanted $400 and looks like someone bought it and put it away in the case I have tried using a couple of times and just can not get used to it really like my IDT and needle down option on my Pfaff 2030. Good luck
Old 10-02-2012, 01:34 AM
Power Poster

I have found that some times if you find a cheap machine, there is something wrong with it. Look it over real good no matter what.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
Geri, It sounds like you should probably be adjusting the bobbin case tension at this point. Your aim should be to have the stitch balanced at about 4.5 when the machine is threaded with 50 weight thread.

I use a 1oz weight, tie it to the bobbin thread and hang it from the bobbin in the bobbin case. The thread should be -just- ready to come out of the bobbin case when you turn the case vertical. If that's where it's set to, someone disassembled the top tension and didn't set it right. There are instructions in the manual for that.

The manual can be found here:
http://ismacs.net/free-sewing-machine-manuals-list.html
There are 12 of them to pick from.
Thanks for the help on adjusting that tension...I will try that.....and also thanks for the info on where to find manual.....
Old 10-03-2012, 09:35 AM

My pleasure Geri. I'd like to hear about how you get on with it.