Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What I learned at quilt retreat >

What I learned at quilt retreat

What I learned at quilt retreat

Old 10-10-2012, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Glad you made it work ... you are lucky there were options to move.

Most times there are not, and you are "locked in" whether you like it or not!
This is what I'm afraid of this weekend. Fri and Sat I'm taking a 2 day John Deer class; it's all inclusive which is great on one hand but on the other hand they are using thier machines. I've never used a brother before but most machines are pretty easy to thread and are basic. There are alot of people who don't realize this though. I'm looking forward to using a different machine mainly because alot of these 2 day classes use brother machines and I'd like to learn. We have asigned sitting so there is no getting up and moving. I seem to always get stuck in between 2 people who dont really ask for your help but mumble because they can't figure it out. So of course I'll help if I know how. I'm there to learn why I have experts there to teach so I'm really excited about that part of it. I take an embroidery class each month and look forward to it. Hopefully this weekend I'll get lucky and it'll be all that I signed up for. The main thing I hate is when you are trying to hear the instructor and you have people either talking on their cell phones or to each other.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

Glad you found a corner to work in. At least you didn't get the person that didn't bring their supplies because they thought they could just "share". Why would anyone bring a brand new machine to a workshop?
Old 10-10-2012, 10:11 AM

Thanks for giving us the benefit of your experience. I'll keep these tips in mind.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:16 AM

Maybe this would be a good time to help whoever is in charge of the retreats make up a Rules of Retreat list.
- know YOUR machine or bring the manual
- bring all supplies but remember that space is limited so be considerate of others' spaces
- do NOT bring own sewing table so space set up is appropriate for all to use
- must use cell phone in another area other than the quilting area or bedrooms, if occupied
- be prepared for temperature differences, i.e., bring a sweater or sweatshirt
- only beverages with spill proof tops allowed in sewing area [though some groups might limit this to water only]

Hmmm. Wonder what else could be added to that list.

ali
Old 10-10-2012, 10:24 AM

Smart girl! I loved your story.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:28 AM

gee, I must be the odd-girl-out again! I go to two retreats every year (and have since 98 or so) and rarely encounter any of those problems! I love all the women who attend, I always bring a sweater 'cuz I know I am usually cold. However, one year was very hot, someone said "take off your shirt" and I did==sewed in my sports bra! 8^)

At one retreat, rules are set for certain behaviors (such as no eating in sewing room) and are respected by us participants.

Laurie
Old 10-10-2012, 10:59 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

BellaBoo,
Can I meet you at the next retreat and be your tablemate?! We'd hit it off great! (Well as long as you bring chocolate and I bring Coke.)

Jan in VA
Old 10-10-2012, 11:09 AM

I have only been to one retreat. While there I worked on two different machines and helped a woman who had just bought hers (she didn't know that the bobbin was directional!). I like doing that sort of thing and was happy to help when they asked. I am always cold and I love to talk while I sew. If I am not talking to someone I am on the phone or singing when at home. You have convinced me I probably shouldn't go to any more retreats because I am an annoyance.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:12 PM

I think this is why I do not do retreats. The issues you describe would be a complete turn -off. It's a mystery to me , the appeal of these retreats.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:14 PM

Are you my clone???