Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wider Jellyrolls?? >

Wider Jellyrolls??

Wider Jellyrolls??

Old 10-12-2012, 03:28 AM

Default Wider Jellyrolls??

I'm kinda new to this so will take any and all advise. I'm using Moda "Over the Rainbow" jellyrolls. Two of them in fact. All the strips are wider than 2 1/2. They are advertised as 2 1/2 but in actuality they are a little over 2 3/4. Anyone ever heard of this? I'm measuring from side to side, from the outside cut of the pinking sheer cut. Am I doing that right?

One reason I ask is I have bought fabric (not enough jellyroll fabric) to complete my quilt. Obviously if I cut my fabric into 2 1/2 strips they wont fit the jelly roll strips and if I use just the cut strips, those squares will be larger. Correct? I'm doing a nine patch.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Greg
Old 10-12-2012, 03:45 AM

I usually measure the jelly roll strips from inside to inside of the pinking and start my 1/4" from there. I would cut your other fabric to match that measurement.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:46 AM
MTS
Banned

It's a common problem with a lot of the pre-cut strips (one of the reasons I never buy them).

Here's a solution to use when sewing:
http://www.bearpawproductions.com/us...May%20Vary.pdf

(It takes a sec for the .pdf to open.)
Old 10-12-2012, 03:57 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

They are called peaks and valleys. It's important that they measure 2 1/2" from peak to peak. If it's larger, you need to cut it down to the size you are cutting your fabric or cut your fabric the size of your jelly roll. Has to be continuity.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:37 AM
Power Poster

I think you have two choices. Either start your 1/4" measurement in a place that gives you 2.5" or re-cut the jelly roll. At least your problem is that it's larger than you expected, rather than smaller! The pinked edge cuts down on ravelling, but it's not as easy to sew accurately.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

I would use the jelly rolls and cut the other fabric the same size. I see no reason to recut the jelly rolls. Maybe I am just too lazy.

Welcome to this wonderful board from Missouri.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:29 AM

I went to the BearPaw website. What a wonderful idea to fix the problem. The Quilt Board never ceases to amaze me with the helpfulness and problem solving that is offered here. Thanks again to everyone. Greg, that fix will solve your problem.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I would use the jelly rolls and cut the other fabric the same size. I see no reason to recut the jelly rolls. Maybe I am just too lazy.

Welcome to this wonderful board from Missouri.
What disturbs me is that a jelly roll strip can be different measurements along the strip! In that case one would have to cut the strip. These things are supposed to help us and cut down on the time we would have to spend cutting strips, instead they are adding time and frustration, IMHO
Old 10-12-2012, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by majormom View Post
What disturbs me is that a jelly roll strip can be different measurements along the strip! In that case one would have to cut the strip. These things are supposed to help us and cut down on the time we would have to spend cutting strips, instead they are adding time and frustration, IMHO
Or you learn to deal with imprecision and fudge. It does not matter if the edges match perfectly. It's the seam allowance, nobody will know but you. I'd use the method in the pdf file MTS posted. Plus it's easy enough to square things up as you go along.