SEWMOR 404 Case redeaux

Old 10-12-2012, 07:17 AM

I like the idea of covering the inside with advertising. How will you apply the paper? Brain wheels are turning here.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:25 AM

you've inspired me so much, joe, that i'm in the process of recovering the case for my 66. not that i'll ever take it anywhere cuz it weighs a ton, but it's turning out really cute. i'll post pictures when i get a little farther.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:36 AM

What a great job you did! Not only do you give machines a new life, but the cases as well. I am really impressed! BTW, I've given up on the 66. I called yesterday to make an appointment to take her to the shop. I just can't figure out what it is that is blocking the wheel from turning. When the feed dogs are off, it seems to work fine, but when I put it back on, it starts whacking again. Besides that, I took the bobbin holder out to clean it and now I can't get it back in. He was really excited to work on a treadle. He thought he was going to get one of my Janomes in for service!
Old 10-12-2012, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
I like the idea of covering the inside with advertising. How will you apply the paper? Brain wheels are turning here.
I'm thinking of using the same spray contact glue as I did for the fabric, but only spray one side. I haven't done it yet, but I'll get there.

Joe
Old 10-12-2012, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by MimiBug123 View Post
What a great job you did! Not only do you give machines a new life, but the cases as well. I am really impressed! BTW, I've given up on the 66. I called yesterday to make an appointment to take her to the shop. I just can't figure out what it is that is blocking the wheel from turning. When the feed dogs are off, it seems to work fine, but when I put it back on, it starts whacking again. Besides that, I took the bobbin holder out to clean it and now I can't get it back in. He was really excited to work on a treadle. He thought he was going to get one of my Janomes in for service!
MimiBug,

I do believe that when you find out what was ailing your 66 you'll be mad at yourself for quitting too soon.

You said "when the feed dogs are off, it seems to work fine, but when I put "IT" back on, it starts whacking again." Are you talking about the toothy part that moves back and forth or the plate that sits over them?

The bobbin case is a pain in the neck to get out, and back in. But it will go back in. You have to have the machine at the right point so the feed dogs don't get in the way, and the latch has to be all the way open, lever to the front. Then you wiggle and jiggle and nudge the case just right and if you're lucky it will fall right in. If not a few assorted words and then you walk away and when you get back it will fall in. Been there, done that. Lot's a fun.

Joe
Old 10-12-2012, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
How about Modge Podge, then if there are any wrinkles, or bubbles you can smooth them out.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by oregongirl View Post
you've inspired me so much, joe, that i'm in the process of recovering the case for my 66. not that i'll ever take it anywhere cuz it weighs a ton, but it's turning out really cute. i'll post pictures when i get a little farther.
Ain't that the truth. I doubt if these machines will ever leave the house, but I get tired of looking at ratty old cases. I clean up the machines, so why not the cases?

My next one might be the one I got recently that someone painted dark brown. Oil based dark brown pain. Handle, latches, inside and outside too. Ugh, it be UGLY. Not sure what to do with it.

Joe
Old 10-12-2012, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by grayhare View Post
How about Modge Podge, then if there are any wrinkles, or bubbles you can smooth them out.
What is: "Modge Podge" ?

Joe
Old 10-12-2012, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
What is: "Modge Podge" ?

Joe
http://www.plaidonline.com/mod-podge/brand/home.htm

The manufacturer link above. Read the history. It is interesting.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:44 AM

Caroline,
Thanks for the link. Read it. Will show it to my wife. Should have interesting possibilities.

Joe