Oh NO!! I've done it again

Old 10-15-2012, 04:45 PM

Thank you so much, skyangel. I have a 6440 that I bought brand new in 1970. It's the brown one and I've always loved it. I bought a used machine around 2002 from a friend that was retiring and updating. That one's a 1+. It does embroidery so I use it when I'm doing something for my great grandbaby. I knew this one was older and I wasn't even sure it would work but figured I would take a chance........ it runs but I can tell it needs some cleaning up. In the trouble shooting section of the manual it says to put kerosene in the oil holes and run for a few seconds, then oil it so I may try that.... but I'll try just oil first
Old 10-15-2012, 05:20 PM

The later 6000 series (6030 and later) Vikings were designed to be self-oiling so they don't give you oiling directions and the covers are a pain to open. They also can get stiff if they aren't used regularly. I've always thought that rather silly, I mean they aren't going to keep that oil-impregnated bearings going indefinitely. That was also why I decided to keep the 6020 for myself, it was the last TOL Viking machine that wasn't self-oiling.

I had a brown 6440 that I got for free from someone on freecycle and it had everything with it. It also needed the internal cam replaced and was really stiff until my Viking guru worked on it. He removed and steam cleaned the pattern mechanism and everything purrs now. My sister-in-law bought it from me for what I had in it and it is the perfect machine for what she does. BTW, the yahoo group list says the 6440 was produced 1975-77.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:55 PM

Intriguing machine....I like it.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:11 PM

I caught it too...I was just browsing on ebay and a 1947(my birthyear) fw jumped into view. I don't know what happened, I must have passed out or something, but next thing you know, my fingers had entered a bid. Yikes, I won the fw. Oh no, I now own a 1947 fw that I've been looking for a year for. Yikes, I don't know what happened..but I'm doing the happy dance.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:10 PM

Good for you..... you'll love the FW.

Originally Posted by sheri View Post
I caught it too...I was just browsing on ebay and a 1947(my birthyear) fw jumped into view. I don't know what happened, I must have passed out or something, but next thing you know, my fingers had entered a bid. Yikes, I won the fw. Oh no, I now own a 1947 fw that I've been looking for a year for. Yikes, I don't know what happened..but I'm doing the happy dance.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:13 PM

Oh, maybe I have the exact number wrong. I know I bought it in 1970 because that was the year my oldest son was born. I had been teaching and bought the machine with a great discount for teachers (sewing teachers). I'm up at my cabin and the machine is 500 miles away right now. I'll have to check once I return.

Originally Posted by Skyangel View Post
The later 6000 series (6030 and later) Vikings were designed to be self-oiling so they don't give you oiling directions and the covers are a pain to open. They also can get stiff if they aren't used regularly. I've always thought that rather silly, I mean they aren't going to keep that oil-impregnated bearings going indefinitely. That was also why I decided to keep the 6020 for myself, it was the last TOL Viking machine that wasn't self-oiling.

I had a brown 6440 that I got for free from someone on freecycle and it had everything with it. It also needed the internal cam replaced and was really stiff until my Viking guru worked on it. He removed and steam cleaned the pattern mechanism and everything purrs now. My sister-in-law bought it from me for what I had in it and it is the perfect machine for what she does. BTW, the yahoo group list says the 6440 was produced 1975-77.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:00 AM

Congratulations on your lovely machines! Enjoy!
Old 10-16-2012, 12:03 PM

LOL! You can never have too many sewing machines, too much fabric, or too much sewing time. Enjoy yourself. I wish I could find just 1 FW!!!!
Old 10-16-2012, 04:02 PM

Oh, you'll find one Mimi. You just have to keep looking. I've found 2 this summer.

Originally Posted by MimiBug123 View Post
LOL! You can never have too many sewing machines, too much fabric, or too much sewing time. Enjoy yourself. I wish I could find just 1 FW!!!!
Old 10-17-2012, 05:29 AM

Know what you mean! I am picking up a little beauty today and I don't even know what model it is, but she is cute! Like I need another, but then that doesn't really enter into it does it. Love your little featherweight, maybe some day I will stumble upon one. Have fun with them