Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Cleaning and repairing the Shellac clear coat on Vintage sewing machine heads >

Cleaning and repairing the Shellac clear coat on Vintage sewing machine heads

Cleaning and repairing the Shellac clear coat on Vintage sewing machine heads

Old 09-14-2012, 05:15 AM

When I try to read all the posts on this topic there is a BIG photo of the sewing machine covering the post. How do I minimize this photo?
Old 09-14-2012, 06:26 AM

i don't think you can change the photo size on an existing post, but you can use your bar at the bottom of your computer screen to slide your view to the right and left. perhaps that will help.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:45 AM

kateh,

Some members just insist on posting gigantic pics. They make it very hard for those of us on dial up to get through a thread. I reduce my pics to 640x480 pixels and they fit in the post box. Easy to view and those on dial up don't have as much trouble loading them.

About all you can do is scroll back and forth like oregongirl said.

Joe
Old 10-03-2012, 12:39 PM

Glenn, how would you handle crazed and cracked clear coat over solid Japanning and decals? I was thinking that a new coat of shellac would fill and flow the existing shellac but I'm not so sure after reading this. It sounds more like you would just clean the current shellac coat to brighten it up (or I might be misreading your advice.)
Old 10-03-2012, 01:56 PM
Power Poster

wait a couple days - Glenn went fishing again...
Old 10-03-2012, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
wait a couple days - Glenn went fishing again...
I hope they're biting for him!
Old 10-03-2012, 02:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pinkCastleDH View Post
I hope they're biting for him!
LOL I hope he isn't in rain...
Old 10-19-2012, 08:01 AM

Hi,
I'm new and I'm very upset about my machine......I just wanted to clean it and now I've ruined it and I don't know what to do! I think I seriously have to find someone that can restore the finish on it. It's my favorite machine to sew with. Anyone around Albany New York that does restoration?
Old 10-19-2012, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by rupato View Post
Hi,
I'm new and I'm very upset about my machine......I just wanted to clean it and now I've ruined it and I don't know what to do! I think I seriously have to find someone that can restore the finish on it. It's my favorite machine to sew with. Anyone around Albany New York that does restoration?
Welcome, Rupato. How about posting some pictures of your machine? Be sure to give front and back to show us what you have done. Perhaps it is not as ruined as you think. I am sure you will get a lot of advice from us.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:23 AM

Thank you, unfortunately my stinking camera is on the fritz! It was in A1 tip top perfect condition, given to me from my Aunt, it was hers. In the most beautiful art deco type of cabinet, Singer mode 15-91 prior to the fifties I believe, what a lovely machine, the whirring sound is so soothing and she sews perfectly. Anyway my aunt was a smoker and as I was cleaning it, I got alot of yellow on the cloth (thinking it was nicotine), I kept cleaning it until I realized that wait a minute, this can't be from smoke. So henceforth my search and finding out about the shellac finish...I should have never attempted this.....got the boiled linseed oil, denatured alcohol, shellac, appropriate cloth, and attempted to do this....what a mess.....trying that french polish method, can't get it right, took it off again, ruining my decals.......I'm simply crying!!