Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along wk 41 Floral Bouquet & Seminole Square Discussion Page >

The FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along wk 41 Floral Bouquet & Seminole Square Discussion Page

The FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along wk 41 Floral Bouquet & Seminole Square Discussion Page

Old 10-23-2012, 03:27 PM
Power Poster

Believe it or not ... I have had frogs legs!
Just one of those things ... had to have it ... somewhat of a dare!

I learned on a manual and typed on one at home til I started working in an office. Remember, jamming the keys, just like CarrieM's cat ..... photo is purrrrrfect!

Yes JanRN ... can see the kids wondering where the screen is!! Just like some kids look at a not so old TV and wonder what it is, being that all they've seen are the big monster flat screens!

Just the other day I was thinking of the wall phones, when I saw a pic of a friend with one on the wall behind. An old one, refinished. Would love to get one!! I We never had one of those tabletop heavy metal models as went straight from the wooden wall phone to a "modern" wall phone, though I suspect it was still a lot of metal.

JanRN is so right!!.......... the importance of having respite care and/or friends/family to give the primary caregiver a break. While you feel you should and want to do it all yourself .... you simply cannot!!! It's NOT good for you or the one you are caring for. You need some time away from doing it all, and re-charge your batteries. Sometimes a 5 minute break is all that-s do-able ... but it can do a world of good!!
Old 10-23-2012, 03:56 PM

Carrie, growing up in Iowa, we had frog legs...really very good, like young chicken legs. Wonder if there are catfish in that pond, sounds about right to me...bet you could catch a big one there. Enjoyed your pictures of the frogs; and that you caught the biggest one. Lincoln, NE., had a special frog hunt for the preschool age...and gs enjoyed it; most of the time, riding on top of his Dad's shoulders!! Newspaper photographer was on hand to capture the moment.

The problem often becomes that all of us are growing older, not younger...age comes with health problems, mentally or physically or both. Thank goodness, there are some excellent places to take proper care of our beloved elderly; and I hope we are all lucky enough to find a good one for us!!
Old 10-23-2012, 05:38 PM

I had never had frog legs before, DH had when he was growing up (his dad had a friend who had ponds and raised them just for their legs) I agree they are a bit like chicken legs. The pond is too small for catfish, especially with the drought this summer. We did get plenty of catfish from the river though...that is in the freezer.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:53 PM
Power Poster

JanieW ... You are my food hero!!
The Mac and Cheese was absolutely delicious!!!!!
I used 2% for both the milks .... and just followed the recipe. Will confess, I added more cheese! When finished, turned off the crock and added some shredded cheddar on top, then lid back to let the cheese melt til ready to sit down.

Everyone ... Take Note: WINNER!!!! DELICIOUS!!!!

OKSGlad ... I'm sure everyone will be impressed tomorrow night!
Old 10-23-2012, 08:35 PM

Ya'll are so comforting. I have a good place for DMIL now. I had a hard time while she lived w/us. Her DSis isn't too bad yet. Her DSon lives w/her. Some days she is still herself, but others are gittin' ta be bad. He does work & they don't need any help yet, but it will git there. On her bad days, he was tryin' ta git her ta live in the real world. His DSis is so ill she can't help him, except ta listen. He had a bad panic attack, the other day. Because I've been there, I'm able ta give him some understandin'.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:09 AM
Power Poster

DublB ... you were fortunate to find a place where your MIL can be and you appreciate. Sadly, so many are not so lucky. Your cousin is dealing with one of the hardest times ... some days she is the Mom he knows and wants. Other days not. And that's where it's too easy to say, snap out of it ... as you know she was OK yesterday, or just 5 minutes ago.

In my Mom's early stages that's where we as a family had a difficult time .... one sibling would go in and say she was nuts. Then the next sibling went and would say, you'r the one that's nuts, she's just fine. And so on ... and with 4 siblings and Dad with her .... it was somewhat of a nightmare playing out. Having dealt with all of that, set me up for when my husband started having problems ... similar symptoms, different cause. While it wasn't easy, what I learned, sure as heck helped me get thru it.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:01 AM

Frog legs have no appeal to me.
Growing old is not something any of us have been given lessons on and it's hard to face our own mortality even when we see it a generation before us. I'm glad you could comfort and encourage your extended family from your own experience, Dubib. I also agree with JanR that the caregivers often have it the hardest for any number of reasons. There is a friend in my quilting class whose husband has Altzheimers and she was basically doing most if his care. A couple of ladies in the class made it a point to encourage her to take more time for herself, work out some of the details and she now spends regular time quilting with her friends. With their support she is now investigating placement in a nursing home for him and being realistic about what she can really do. Her health has also declined during this time.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:53 AM
Power Poster

GGal ... Bless those sweet ladies for nudging her towards this. My Dad started to decline too, with the ongoing care and "guarding" that he was doing. I think we would have lost him first, if it had been much longer before Mom was hospitalized. And then again, he was coming mighty close again while Mom was in the care facility. In the end, he had a good life for a few years longer, after Mom passed. I came so close to cracking a few times while my husband was sick ... I sometimes wonder how I did get thru it. Somehow, we just rise to challenge and occasion.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:59 AM

I think we all do what we have to do in times like these! We don't really stop to think about it, we just do it! Afterwards we wonder how we did it! Gosh hope that makes sense!!!!
Old 10-24-2012, 11:10 AM

I agree about risin' ta the challenge. I don't know how I made it through takin' care o' DFIL, while he was dyein' & DMIL was slippin' so far under the Alzhimers. I spent 12 hours a day at their house. I didn't realize my DDad was dyin' too. I kept thinking the Dr.s would fix him & he would be OK. They always had before. After DDad & DFIL died DMIL lived w/ me for 6 months. I didn't even begin ta morn till I found this wonderful place for her. Now that I look back I wonder how I did it. (DH & #2 DSon did everything here at the house while I did all o' those things.)