Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do any of you do binding for customers? >

Do any of you do binding for customers?

Do any of you do binding for customers?

Old 10-28-2012, 07:31 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
Default Do any of you do binding for customers?

I am just wondering if any of you bind quilts for other people. Do some of you LAers do the binding for your customers? Do some of you just bind quilts for people who don't want to bind their quilts? I bet you can tell that I don't enjoy binding my quilts. I'm just asking to see if anyone else has someone bind their quilts for them. My LQS owner has a 90 year old lady who hand sews the binding on quilts for customers. So, I wanted to see if there were more people who did this, either by hand or machine.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:45 AM

My longarmer offers binding service. Her rates are as follows:
Making and machine attaching binding (with fabric you provide) for you to finish: $1.20 per linear foot
Making and machine attaching binding (with fabric you provide) and finishing by machine: $2.00 per linear foot
Making and machine attaching binding (with fabric you provide) and finishing by hand: $3.00 per linear foot.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:01 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I am just wondering if any of you bind quilts for other people.
Not a LAer, but I do it for friends.
They hate the process, I love it.
Especially the big quilts.

No money ever changes hands, it's not asked for or needed or required or wanted, but gift certificates to certain online fabric shops have been known to end up in my mailbox from time to time.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:07 AM

I have a friend who hates the hand-sewing part of the bindings, so he sews them on and I do the turning and hand-sewing. He pays me $50 for each queen-sized quilt.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

i bind quilts for a couple of my customers- one who simply doesn't like to hand stitch-but doesn't like the way machine bindings look- and a couple ladies who have arthritis and it hurts them- I enjoy hand work and it doesn't take me that long so it is a service i offered even before i started long-arm quilting for people...sometimes a person brings in a (rush quilting job) and they want the project completely gift ready when they pick it up-
i think there are actually alot of people out there who bind for others.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:16 AM

I really don't MIND binding! Actually, to me, it signals I am almost done with my quilt!! THAT means, I can start on the next one!! I machine sew one side, then hand-stitch to the back. I have a large queen appliquéd quilt Charisma ( on the Board) quilted for me and, ashamed I am, I haven't done the binding yet. I cut it out, but got sidetracked and never sewed it on. That is my very next project so I can get this quilt on my bed!! I am happy to do I ding for anyone who wants to pay me. Might consider that in trade for basting, my absolute WORST nightmare!
Old 10-28-2012, 09:21 AM

I use to hate binding, but over time its not so bad...I do machine sew them on though..I do not enjoy hand sewing.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:23 AM

I don't hate binding but also will put it off. I have a quilt that I did last spring that is done except for binding. I keep rationalizing that I am waiting to know who I will give it too to add a label but in reality I am procrastinating.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill View Post
I am happy to do I ding for anyone who wants to pay me. Might consider that in trade for basting, my absolute WORST nightmare!
Now there's an idea! I hate basting, but love doing the binding...
Old 10-28-2012, 01:28 PM

I am a longarm quilter and also love to do binding. My favorite is to finish by hand with a ladder stitch and 1/4" or smaller stitches. My charges are by the linear inch and include making the binding. There is an extra charge for bias binding. $.30/linear inch for hand finished. $.18/linear inch for machine finished. $.12/linear inch to just attach the binding and you finish. Our business is called Silver Needle Stitching, LLC, as you can see below.