Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pass On The Best Idea You've Had While Quilting >

Pass On The Best Idea You've Had While Quilting

Pass On The Best Idea You've Had While Quilting

Old 11-05-2012, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Pamela Artman View Post
I keep a basket underneath the cutting table for throw-away scraps, a plastic basket on my table for scraps that are usable, when it is full, I cut the scraps into strips and squares. I use a "thread bunny" (don't know how it got it's name!) which is just a scrap to sew onto after sewing pieces. Saves thread. Then I decided to keep a stack of squares or triangles next to my machine and instead of sewing off onto a scrap, I just grab a couple of squares and use those as my "thread bunny." Before you know it, I have a stack of 4 patches for a new quilt!
Clever clever idea Pamela. Going to copy this asap.
Annie
Old 11-06-2012, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by KenZ View Post
I save my salvage edges for use as plant ties in the garden.
Impressive.
Annie
Old 11-06-2012, 03:17 AM
SEW

Originally Posted by peppermint31 View Post
I use 2 rubber door stops to tilt my machine up towards me to lessen the neck strain of bending over to see where I'm sewing
I am going to try this out...thanks!
Old 11-06-2012, 03:59 AM

After ripping out a seam, use a pencil eraser to rub over the threads. It removes them like butter! Put a peice of the loopy side of velcro to the end of a yard stick, use it to remove all the clipped threads from your quilt and to remove all the lost threads from the floor around your sewing machine. It saves having to bent over!
Old 11-06-2012, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by kellen46 View Post
What good idea have you had that would benefit others? How about passing them on just in time for weekend quilting? :-D

Sashing-Sarah709
Here is a way to make your own really sturdy pattern paper. Take two sheets of the inexpensive white tissue paper, the kind you get at the dollar tree and a white plastic trash bag. cut open the trash sack to get one layer sheet. sandwich tissue, plastic,tissue and iron with a hot iron. Be careful to trim bag to tissue size or the iron will melt the plastic and you will have to do a clean up. The resulting tissue is very strong, it can be cut or torn but is not fragile. It is translucent and you can easily trace through it. It is great for transferring multi size patterns as you can trace off the size you need and save the original. Also if you want you can use an existing tissue pattern as one of the layers and thus make it stronger for extended use.
Other uses of this idea that I have come up with is to have the top layer be fabric. When I was book binding having the glue leak through was a real problem. Book cloth is expensive and rather boring. By doing this I can have any kind of book cloth I want. I think if you were covering boxes this would be handy too. Also if you are crafting with fragile or making items that need a sturdier paper this is a great solution. Once I sandwiched the tissue with maps to make lampshades. The are still going strong. I also have sandwiched that shiny iridescent tissue with white tissue to make a sturdy paper to cover journals. Works great. I haven't tried it but I am thinking to use two lightweight fabrics with the plastic and seeing if I can make a moisture resistant fabric for lunch bags and such. Easier to sew than oilcloth and cheaper than vinyl coated cloth.[/QUOTE]

Could you maybe use the super market plastic bags for this? Especially if you were doing the fabric on top and the tissue on the bottom? Just wondering.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:36 PM

great idea
Old 11-06-2012, 06:52 PM

Gesh....36 pages later, finally to the end (for the time being anyways) I have read some fantastic ideas. Thanks to all of you.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:57 PM

Instead of tracing your pattern on interfacing, just use iron on interfacing on the back of the patterns. No need to trace and saves time. My patterns have lasted for years doing this.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Grammy o'5 View Post
What a great idea using jars for the thread! I've been trying to figure out something for mine, I'll give it a try.
Thought my Bernina needed repair until my daughter told me about using a cone and now I use coffee mugs for my other 2 machines
I am now going to switch to small jars or bottles, sounds like an even better idea. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:20 AM

if you use fusible interfacing you can iron your pattern onto it and save the tracing step. I've done this for years and it works great.
Originally Posted by gellybean402 View Post
I always seem to rip a pattern after one use so I trace the pattern onto a piece of interfacing (including all the markings) and cut it out. Now I have a pattern that won't tear and is very durable and will last forever!