Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New to this, and confused! >

New to this, and confused!

New to this, and confused!

Old 11-06-2012, 06:39 PM

Sounds like your instructor has a case of OCD! The instructor I have now tells us she is a rule breaker and proud of it! Quilting is an art. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, etc...

Whenever I take a class - no matter if it's quilting or anything else, I listen, take notes, then when class is over, I use what ever works best for me. If I learn just one thing, then the class was worth it.

When I was a kid I had two close relatives that both made quilts. One was related to me through my mother and the other through my father. Thank goodness they did not see each other often because they would tell each other what they were doing wrong with their quilts! WWIII!
Old 11-06-2012, 07:03 PM

Pre-washing is strictly personal to me. UNLESS, its a fabric that might bleed, like red. I dont prewash because I love the puckered look that quilts get after that first washing. I only cut binding on the bias if the quilt has a wavy or curved siding, otherwise it is not cut on the bias. I would ABSOLUTELY take another class with another quilt shop and teacher. Everyone has a different approach.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:59 PM

I was shaking my head reading her comments as to the 'right' way to quilt. I have always relied on my instincts in quilting (and in life) - but been open to learning new and improved ways of doing things, too. If what you're doing works for you, that's the way to do it!
Old 11-06-2012, 08:17 PM

Gads, I put tha teacher as a 5-star General in the Quilt Police!

All the above. You learn to do your quilting in a way that works for you. Some of us have physical handicaps and couldn't quilt her way. [Even without a handicap I wouldn't follow that teacher's advice much.]

Please, please, please share your well thought out and nonconfrontive remarks with the quilt store. Quilting should be fun and it is the teachers who should adjust ... not you. Ask to take a similar class from someone else for FREE! Quilting should definitely be fun. When it isn't fun then quilters won't buy as much from that store. It will literally be that store's loss.

ali
Old 11-06-2012, 09:22 PM

I took 1 beginning class and now I realize how lucky I was in the teacher I was given. I agree with everyone else. I've learned tons from QB, watching You Tube and The Quilt Show; all of which were suggested by members here on this QB. Keep reading, studying your craft and above all enjoy what you are doing.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:54 PM

Considering that people used to make the most beautiful quilts with nothing but a pair of scissors, a needle and thread, it appears anything that you can make works, works. Some techniques may make things easier for some and not for others. As they used to say, "Do your own thang"!
Old 11-07-2012, 12:25 AM

You are so right. I've learned so much here on the Quilting Board. Gluing bindings? I'll have to check that out! I'm also quite a computer novice...so hopefully I'll figure this whole site out soon. I really appreciate all the kind comments and encouragement. I've checked out albums and pictures, and you ladies do beautiful work! I have a lot to learn!!
Old 11-07-2012, 01:30 AM

it's your disco stick. shake it how you like I like.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:32 AM

your teacher sounds like "my way or the highway" - go with what works for you. You can take her teachings as mere suggestions. Pave your own road and if you hit a pot-hole, put your question to these amazing people at the 'board'. They have helped me so much!!
Old 11-07-2012, 03:58 AM

I am self taught also. What ever works for you to make it enjoyable and satisfied is OK in mhy book. I have limited space to work so I do what I have to do. If I am happy everybody is happy.