Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Sewing machine for handicap use? >

Sewing machine for handicap use?

Sewing machine for handicap use?

Old 11-08-2012, 07:56 AM

There are a lot of machines with a start/stop button. I would also suggest getting one with a speed control. I know I have saw a Brother that has both. My Singer Featherweight 75 has both and I know there are others that do. The speed control will allow her to slow down the machine until she gets used to it and later for tight spots.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:37 AM

the foot petal can be set up on the top surface of the machine to push with the hand.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:23 AM

I have a babylock, brother, elna all have push buttons and also can regulate the speed. It would be great for Her. I think this would be Her best bet.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
Maybe I'm not quite understanding the problem . . . but couldn't she just move the foot pedal up onto the table . . . or use a machine with the start/stop button?
That is what I do. I had polio as a child and have the foot pedal on the side of my machine and I push it with my right hand. I recently got a Janome with a start / stop button, and I love it for machine quilting as I have both hands to guide the fabric. Now I can roll from machine to machine!
Old 11-09-2012, 05:34 PM

thanks for your insight MissQuilter! im glad to hear these things. i will pass these suggestions to my bf so he can pass them onto his friend.
Old 10-10-2023, 05:23 PM

Consider-

The vintage Bernina 830H Record is basically the same design as the Bernina 830 Record Electronic with its universally acclaimed advantages: simple operation, reliability, and high performance. The handicap machine is supplied as a standard model with all essential accessories. The machine can also be easily operated by someone with defective eyesight.

At first glance, it’s a Bernina 830 Record which is cool, but not weird. But, a second glance at the knobs will tell you why it belongs here. This is a Bernina 830H, one of only a few produced. The ‘H’ stands for “handicapped,” which explains the large knobs, with tabs that don’t have to be gripped. It also has a guard for \the needle, and a chain wraps around the pedal so it can hang from the user’s neck. The machine was designed so that a quadriplegic user can operate the pedal with their chin.

Note: "Sewing Machines." The English Journal of the Consumers' Association, Which, Joined with consumer organizations in nine other countries in a report on "electronic" sewing machines As part of this international test, three sewing machines emerged which can be specially adapted for use by disabled people These are:

Bernina 830H (Handicap), Switzerland;

Husqvarna Viking 6270, Sweden, and the

Husqvarna Viking 6690, Sweden

The Bernina came fitted with aids to make it more suitable for people with physical and sight disabilities The Husqvarna machines can be supplied with kits, one for the physically handicapped and a second for the blind and partially sighted. In the report, the point was made that no sewing machine not even one specially adapted will suit everybody The is, try out a variety of sewing machines before buying.

Old 10-11-2023, 04:58 AM

2012 thread. That said, my big Janome has a broken foot pedal and after a millioin years of sewing by foot, or in the old days by knee, I'm using the start stop button. It is a wonderful thing
Old 10-22-2023, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by ghines View Post
At first glance, it’s a Bernina 830 Record which is cool, but not weird. But, a second glance at the knobs will tell you why it belongs here. This is a Bernina 830H, one of only a few produced. The ‘H’ stands for “handicapped,” which explains the large knobs, with tabs that don’t have to be gripped.
I saw this machine in a picture and thought it was a smart idea. Since Bernina no longer manufactures these, I found that I had to do something about it, so this was the result:
https://3dsewingparts.com/parts-upgr...hole-knob.html