Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Puzzled about scissors... >

Puzzled about scissors...

Puzzled about scissors...

Old 11-11-2012, 12:11 AM

Kai! I bought 2 pairs at the Quilting Convention last year and I am so glad I did. My old ginghers have gone by the way side....
Old 11-11-2012, 03:57 AM

I still have the first pair of Fiskars I purchased in the late 60's. I have never had them sharpened and they still cut as good as the first time I used them. I love those scissors and all the other Fiskars I have purchased since. I bought my first pair of Ginghers about three years ago and although I have a nice selection of Ginghers now, I still prefer that first pair of Fiskars, but my favorites are the first Soft-Grip ones they came out with, again never been sharpened and still as sharp as the day I purchased them in the early 80's.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms View Post
You are not alone!! I just bought a new pair of 8" Ginghers at Joanne's. I've had Fiskars but both pair are getting old and either won't cut from the base or won't cut all the way to the tip. So I had a coupon and purchased the new pair of Ginghers. They are very stiff and it takes a lot of pressure to cut. I think I started a thread about this about 3=4 weeks ago. I haven't oil mine yet.

Someone suggested on my thread that they like the spring loaded Ginghers but I haven't tried them.

I just purchased a pair of Mundail at Hancock's and couldn't try them out before hand. When I got home, I opened them and they are HORRIBLE!! So back they are going! UGH It is so frustrating to not be able to find a great pair of scissors.

BTW, I do have a pair of the spring loaded Fiskars which do a pretty good job and my son came over to install a shower curtain rod for me. I caught him cutting the plastic straps on the packaging with my Fiskars. I jerked them out of his hand and he kinda looked at me funny. HEHE I told him those were the only fabric scissors that cut halfway decent and he couldn't use them on the plastic!! Now I may make him bring me home a good pair from the hospital!!!!
I certainly hope you don't mean he is going to steal scissors from the hospital to bring to you.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:47 AM

I was reading a post the other day about this subject. One person said that the best scissors that she had ever bought were wallpaper scissors. She said that she loved them. Next time I go to Menard's I am going to try a pair. You might want to as well.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:20 AM

I have a pair of ginghers, but Kai's are great. They have a website.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:25 AM

Mine were Weiss. My Mom got me a set when I was 13 all were 6 inch. I still use the straight bladed ones but I can no longer find some one who can sharpen the zig-zag or the scallop edge's I used these the most for making clothing. I loved them and now a days you hardly ever find zig zag and I have never seen another pair of scallops.Now my favorite ones are WALWORKS- there from Sherwin-Williams paint store for wallpaper.They have very comfortable handles and mine are at least 10 yrs old and they are as sharp as the day I bought them and there was no 'break in' period they instantly felt like a perfect fit.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:44 AM

I have a pair of steel Fiskars, which I really like. I bought these when I first started sewing and couldn't justify the price of a Gingher. I really like them, but then I haven't cut with a Gingher yet either. I know what you mean about the extension of your right - I have a chef's knife that's like that. I hope your scissors turn up!
Old 11-11-2012, 09:01 AM

I inherited my grandmas scissors when she moved to a nursing home years ago. I think they are Ginghers. They are probably 80 years old. I did have them sharpened a few times. I really like them a lot. I rarely use them any more since I rarely make clothing any more. My favorite newer pair is my cutco scissors. They are available either from a rep or online. LOve them. they come with free lifetime sharpening as do their knives.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:01 AM

I took a class from Karen Kay Buckley, and bought a pair of scissors that is her brand alone and they are great. The blades grip the fabric and can cut several layers at a time.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:34 AM

Default Gingher Scissors

Gingher Scissors are now owned by Fiskar. I've noticed a marked decline in quality since Fiskar's took over.

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics View Post
So I've always had a wonderful pair of Gingher scissors (8" sewing shears, sharp point), but somehow in re-doing my cutting area I've lost 'em. Don't know how something big and shiny like a pair of scissors can go missing, but, well, they did.

And I miss them. They were like an extension of my own arm.

So I went to JoAnns and bought a new pair of what I thought would be identical scissors. And. They're not. They are subtly different, and it's disturbing. The metal blades are slightly - very slightly - thicker, and they weigh just a fraction of an ounce more and somehow the difference is very noticeable to me. Plus the action is stiff, sticky, and requires more effort to use. And yes, I did "try out" several pairs in the store, looking for the ones that are easiest to operate. I've put some sewing machine oil on the screw area, but I can't loosen the screw to make them easier to use. And the oil didn't really make any difference.

Has anyone else noticed a difference in scissors, when buying a replacement for an old favorite pair?

Or is there just a better brand than Gingher these days? What's your favorite pair, and where & when did you buy them?