Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions please....QOV >

Suggestions please....QOV

Suggestions please....QOV

Old 11-16-2012, 04:21 AM

Default Suggestions please....QOV

Here's my latest idea. I'm quilting a QOV and have the idea to put the label info on the border. All around the border....when I made my DILs wedding gown I put her name, date and location on the hemline of the underskirt. She loved that feature. Now when her daughter gets married I will be adding her name. If she will fit into the dress. (which is doubtful right now)

So, my dilemna is this-shall I applique? shall I embroider? or handquilt the info on the QOV. I don't want the info to be backwards on the backing, so will probably just do this on the top and batting. Then should the writing/printing be facing outward or towards the center of the quilt.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

I would embroider the words and have them face out.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I would embroider the words and have them face out.
i agree
Old 11-16-2012, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

I guess I've always thought of reading a border is the same as reading a book. You read left to right, so I would start with the wording being read from the left side, across the top, then the right side, and upside down on the bottom. JMHO
Old 11-16-2012, 06:39 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

If this is a QOV quilt which is going to that organization for distribution, don';t they have specifics about how to handle borders?

And if this is a patriotic quilt you are personally giving to someone, should it be called a QOV, as that indicates involvement with that particular organization?

I understood that the QOV lady is pretty particular about the use of the name "Valor" for quilts other than what comes to her group. Not that I agree with that sentiment......

Jan in VA
Old 11-17-2012, 04:00 AM

Jan, I never thought of QOV being a trademark name. I will not refer to it as such. It is a personal gift for a veteran. I thought any quilt that was for a veteran could be called a QOV. Sorry for that misrepresentation. Thanks for your information I do appreciate it . So this could be called a Quilt of Gratefulness or Quilt of Appreciation.
Sandy
Old 11-17-2012, 01:08 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Sandy,
Please know that I have nothing to do with QOV, the foundation!! I have never sent my quilts to them, but have delivered them myself to individuals or the regional VA Hospital. They are NOT the only military quilt distribution organization either, just the most advertised.

I personally call my patriotic quilts "valor quilts" sometimes, too.

I was merely pointing out that I had heard the founder of the QOV Foundation organization had made the effort to squash the use of the word "valor" with any military quilts except those which go to their organization -- an effort with which I do not agree; I feel it is silly, self-serving, exclusive, and attention-getting....all of which we do not need to indulge in when we are honoring and supporting our over-extended service personnel who are in danger's way every day for all of us. I have no idea whether she has gone so far as to have the name trademarked. I certainly hope not!

Your quilt can surely be called a "quilt of/for valor" (probably wouldn't use "QOV" as that's the Foundation's name) or any other name you want to represent it. Guess I'm saying, focus on the gratefulness, as you are doing, rather than the politics. (Wish I had done so and never brought up this kettle of fish!!)

I just think it's fantastic when anyone makes an honorarium such as this; you go girl!!

Jan in VA
Old 11-17-2012, 04:15 PM

Thanks, Jan I do appreciate your thoughtful post. This will be my third quilt for veterans. I am always on the lookout for new patterns.
Sandy