Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Beginner mistakes with basting spray >

Beginner mistakes with basting spray

Beginner mistakes with basting spray

Old 11-18-2012, 06:22 PM

I used Elmer's spray glue for the first time. I brought my quilt top, batting and backing fabric to our quilters guild where we combined three six foot tables. With several members' help, I "gently" sprayed first the batting and put on the backing fabric and then sprayed the other side of the batting and added the top. This is the way to go and I would never again pin and baste as in "olden times".
Old 05-11-2013, 07:05 PM

Cool june taylor basting spray

hi quilters---i plan to use basting spray (june taylor) for the first time---is it ok to iron the quilt sandwich after u have basted it--i read the warnings on can, but it says nothing about ironing--thx in advance
Old 05-11-2013, 08:59 PM

I learned the same lesson! Only mine was using the spray to hold letters still for machine appliqué on nylon ripstop for an outdoor banner. Will definitely be less heavy handed next time!
Old 05-11-2013, 09:50 PM

You can use it, but a) make sure it is washable/temporary for use on fabrics, b) hold the spray bottle 10 - 12 inches from the batt. c) spray in a well ventilated area, d) NEVER spray near your sewing machine - the spray is like a gas and can find it's way inside your machine.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:53 PM

Yes, it is. I did it today and had no problems. Usually I don't iron the quilt sandwich, though, just thought I'd try it to see if it was significantly better - the answer is no.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:03 PM

The first time you use it, just take two one yard pieces of fabric, some batting to fit between, and use the spray baste. Use it in a well ventilated area, spray at least 10 - 12 inches from the surface of the batting, smooth to your satisfaction and then quilt.

(Note: do not spray near your sewing machine (or any other machine). The spray is like a wet gas and penetrates through narrow/small openings in the machine chassis.)

If your needle is gumming up, you used too much spray.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:13 PM

Using the 505 spray only I have had no trouble. Quick spray from a distance batting on second quick spray on top and place on. I then using a dry iron press all over back and front to dry glue before quilting or leaving for quilting.

I have made a similiar mess using the elmers school glue by putting too much on . Tute on this site explaining how to use elmers. It is a pin head I'm calling it to myself dots on a seam place on then again iron.

When I get the second correct will be fantastic as no pinning and so easy if you are on your own.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:57 PM

I learned the hard way, too - sprayed 505 too heavy and too close to my machine and soon every little piece of dust or thread stuck to my new sewing machine! The 2nd time I layed my pieces on the carpet (yes, you may call me stupid). Now I spray ONLY out on my back deck with a sheet underneath that I don't mind getting dirty. I've only tried 505 spray (stocked up when it went on sale at Joanns).
Old 05-13-2013, 08:03 PM

I use 505 all of the time now, have used the June Tailor, but did not like it as well as the 505. I always stock up on it when I can get it on sale. Great stuff!