Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
what would you charge a client for this... >

what would you charge a client for this...

what would you charge a client for this...

Old 11-26-2012, 06:46 AM

This woman is dreaming if she thinks this is only worth $60.00. I've heard about things like this happening. A mate of my husband asked for a wall quilt at least 4 foot square. Time and price didn't matter. He gave me a vague idea of what he wanted. I designed the pattern collected all the fabric, made the quilt of which I was very proud.
I didn't know what to charge so took it to two separate Quilt shops. Both places said at least $500.00 but as he was a friend I charged him $300.00. Think he was a bit taken back but didn't argue. I then spent 3 months chasing him for the money. Never again- will make sure I get at least 50% of cost before I even start.
As many others said "don't dare give it to her for $60.00. You did a wonderful job. It's beautiful.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:50 AM

I agree with the rest. It is beautiful and I wouldn't go less than $200.00!!
Old 11-26-2012, 07:58 AM

I have read all 8 pages of responses and realized that some people think that if you sew/quilt you are thankful for projects that you don't have to provide material for. Little do they know how many UFO's we have. When I was young I made bridesmaid dresses for several different weddings. When the topic of price was mentioned I usually charged about $25 per dress (this was nearly 30 years ago). It was interesting that some people thought it was a great deal and others couldn't believe it cost so much.

I think that this lady either doesn't like how it turned out or falls into the group that she thinks you should be thankful to have a project that she provided some of the fabric for.

I would proceed as you are with the e-mail and call her and talk with her directly. Ask her specifically why she isn't willing to pay the amount you both agreed to. I would not return it to her until she paid the $125 agreed upon amount. I'd also give her an itemized bill that shows all discounts.

Good luck with this and keep us posted as to how things turn out.

By the way, I think the quilt is stunning and you did an AWESOME job on it.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:17 AM

Doesn't seem right or fair does it? I turned down my niece in making several table toppers for Christmas presents she wanted to give. I couldn't put a price on them knowing she could come back to me saying she can get it cheaper. And also knowing it is possible she may pick them up while I am in the process of working hard at getting them done for her. Years ago I was asked to make a 12" doll wedding dress for a neighbor's little girl. I spent the time, bought the actual wedding dress fabric, lace, notions. She came to pick it up and I asked for $7.00. She said no, I will give you $2.00. Her little girl was standing there waiting for it. What could I do but take the $2.00? Now, I go to the local craft fairs and see them upwards of $25; some with less than ideal sewing. How can she come back and TELL you what your time talents and costs are worth? Perhaps send her a message with a time frame to finalize the agreement she made with you. The memory heart most probably could represent anyone or anything in your own family if she doesn't follow through. The wall hanging is just beautiful! Best of luck!
Old 11-26-2012, 08:31 AM

I've read all of the responses to your original posting and I'm as angry as everyone else. Just thinking of you trying to applique with those thin wools and how lovely this turned out, I think you did a tremendous job. Stick to your guns, and let her know that you will be happy to take payment in instalments, with the quilt turned over once the final balance is paid.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I can't believe your client only wants to pay you $60 for a custom made quilt that is quite beautiful. At the pre-discussed $126 she is getting a bargain. I agree with the others in that it is worth at least $200. Do not let this person take if for less than $126. If she balks, then sell it on Etsy or e-bay for $200 because it is definitely worth that. It is lovely.

I totally agree with feline and everyone else. Don't let her have it for only $60.00, you are being robbed at $125.00. Unless people quilt or just plain sew, they have NO idea of the work that goes into making beautiful quilts and wall Hangings. Keep it for yourself. If she doesn't want to pay the agreed upon price, then later comes back and changes her mind, charge her $150. or more, because of the delay, if she questions this, explain that you took away from other items just to get hers done in the time frame you stated, and you lost out on other sales or items. You could easily sell this for $200.00 or more. That was the least price I would have quoted. Beautiful work. If she should complain about the fabric that was her granddad's, which to me looks like the fabric in the hearts only, and makes a big deal, then pay her $5.00 or so and call it done, give her the remainder of the fabric that she gave you to make it.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by pokergal3 View Post
Thank you for your replies. Yes we did talked about the prices and I had told her it would be $125 plus cost of fabrics etc. She said fine no problem!!! I may even pay you more than that. I had let her know it was ready for pick up and gave her the costs plus 20 percent discount which came to $126 She said no way only $60. I gave her some links to check out what others are charging for the same size wallhanging but very simple pattern on it. She has not gotten back to me yet.
Since she stated that "I may even pay you more for it", verbal- go with the pay you more aspect and charge her $200 or more now.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:06 AM

Your quilt is absolutely gorgeous and creative. I get so upset with those "no-sewer's" who have no idea of our quality time and talent and want to take advantage of same. And she wants to pay only half of the 'discounted' (what is that?) price? I agree with SEWELEGANT (posterboard). If supplies cost $36.10, then you worked three weeks at less than $10. per week? No way. Don't even have it in view (HIDE IT) when she decides to pick it up until she comes up with NO LESS THAN the $126. I don't care if the fabric belonged to HER grandfather; it's yours until her request is paid for. Good luck.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
it's beautiful. $200 minimum, and they would be getting a steal.
I agree! It is beautiful!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:10 AM

Default what would you charge a client for this?

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
First of all, it is just beautiful!
Just read your second post. DO NOT let her pay less than the $126. She's robbing you at that. If she won't pay that, then keep it for yourself.
All of the answers I have read are very good and the $200.00 is a minimum. I haven't seen this one, so here is an idea; sit down and try to reconstruct about how many hours you spent on it, from start to finish. Then take that times the minimum wage for your area.
Have the client meet with you to discuss the figures, demonstrate the tedious task of the work you did. We all know as quilters that you spent many hours on this, and that it is very top-notch quality work.
State the figure you decide on--the $200 isn't out of line at all in my opinion also; even more, depending on what you come up with on the hours spent, min. wage, ect. Then if she doesn't want to pay that, tell her you just can't take any less, and that you can sell it for that amt.
She would go away laughing if you take $60.00--which is nothing.
I agree; get a hefty down payment next time. People can really do a number on us!
Mariah.