Trouble winding 301A bobbin

Old 12-10-2012, 09:02 PM

Default Trouble winding 301A bobbin

I picked up a 301A from Craig's List several months ago. It is in good shape. It came with several feet and 3 old bobbins. I ordered a dozen more bobbins for 221/301. Last night I finally got it cleaned up and oiled, put in a new needle and tried to wind the new bobbins. But the bobbin winder doesn't spin when the new bobbin is in place. I loosened the screw and adjustment behind the bobbin winder and played with a number of minor changes to the setting to try to get it all lined up but it wouldn't go. So I pulled the old thread off one of the bobbins that came with the machine and it wound like a charm.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Anyone else have trouble with new bobbins but not the old ones? The bobbins look identical when compared.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:04 PM

Teacup,

I don't know where you got your new bobbins, but modern made bobbins vary widely in quality and size. I'd try Sew-Classic for new bobbins. As for the old ones are they too narrow between the sides or uneven?

Joe
Old 12-11-2012, 04:43 AM

I had the same trouble with bobbins on my 301a when I got it. I bought some new ones at my local fabric store that would work but I had to fiddle with them. I ordered some from Sew Classic which work really well. I threw away the other new ones. Good luck, you will love the 301a. It's my favourite machine.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:31 AM

sew classic has the correct bobbins
places here in town sell "301" bobbins and they are a joke...they have slots or the post part is 1/8 inch to tall - a real zoo out there.....one LQS had orderded some from a country (name starts with 'C') and they are so obviously wrong that they are making earrings and charm bracelets from them. LOL

My SINGER 301A is my favorite also...but I can only say this out loud because the Bernina 1630 is visiting my DD and the serger has its cover on.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:37 AM

Yup, some of the new, reproductions are just duds.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:47 AM

I also had trouble with new bobbins that were suppose to work for that machine.Turns out they are actually not quite
wide enough fit against the guide.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:32 AM

Does the machine wind the old bobbins? The one that came with the machine? If it doesn't wind at all, besides a new clunker bobbin being the problem, don't forget to oil the little hole in the winder, don't forget to look at the rubber bobbin winder wheel and see if it is worn or too slick, is it making good contact with the handwheel? Is the clutch on the handwheel disengaging? It probably is just the bobbin itself, but these are other things that can affect it. I have 4- 301s and they are pretty much trouble free, just excellent machines. The one I just got has a problem when winding the bobbin- the needle bar keeps moving even when the handwheel silver knob is disengaged, so I have to take the handwheel off and clean- however I need an expanding pliers to get the ring off and have to buy one.
Keep at it- the machine is worth it.
Linda
Old 12-11-2012, 11:50 AM

I have new shiny bobbins for my Pfaff 130. They wind ok, but the tension coming off of them is extremely tight. I only have about a half dozen of the originals, which have browned with age, but work perfectly.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:04 PM

It sounds like you have your answer. I bought repro bobbins from april1930s shoppe. They filled and sewed fine, but came unthreaded during FMQ. They were a tiny bit thicker than the one original I had. squeezed the edges in with pliers and now they are okay. My second 301 arrived with several original bobbins so I should pirate those for AnnieRose.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
It sounds like you have your answer. I bought repro bobbins from april1930s shoppe. They filled and sewed fine, but came unthreaded during FMQ. They were a tiny bit thicker than the one original I had. squeezed the edges in with pliers and now they are okay. My second 301 arrived with several original bobbins so I should pirate those for AnnieRose.
My 301s and FWs all share their bobbins equally and I just them all together so I can pirate/use them as I need them. I ddi buy some newer 301 bobbins at a sewing shop and they don't wind or work worth a hoot so I made them into Christmas tree ornaments for my kitties to take off the tree and play with. Noisy little suckers as they bounce down the stairs though.