Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
moda ABC panel >

moda ABC panel

moda ABC panel

Old 12-16-2012, 03:20 PM

OOOHHHH..... now I get it!!! Yep, I think the only thing you can do is cut each piece out and sew them back together in the correct order. Good luck!!!!!
Old 12-17-2012, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by RosMadeMe View Post
I think what the OP is saying is that it was cut to close the letters on the right hand side and it is also squew whiff as the seam allowance is not equal.

The only thing I could suggest is using a black border as close to the boxes as possible and making it the same on both sides... I hope that makes sense.
I believe what you have purchased is a panel that is suppose to be cut apart and make a cloth book. That would account for the ABC block being the cover.

Good Luck!
Old 12-17-2012, 05:42 AM

At the quilt shop where I work we always cut panels with scissors so this doesn't happen. I am guessing they used a rotary cutter...panels are never exact and straight. About the only thing to do is cut all the blocks apart and resash them.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by 0tis View Post
Sorry that your panel was cut wrong - I must say that I have the same - actually I purchased a quilt kit with this panel =It made a really cute quilt - I cut the letters apart and added sashing around each letter - then sewed them back together - I will try to get a pic to show.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]382456[/ATTACH]
I would cut the blocks apart and sash them even if it is more work - especially since you did all that trapunto work. This version is very cute - love all the colors! Good luck.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:54 AM

To me panels like this are too long vertically and need to be cut anyway. Just a complaint about the design ... Panels need to be made more versatile. More room between designs would better accommodate a quarter inch seam. Also, a striped background can cause big problems. If you notice, the stripes don't line up at the sides of the rectangles at the same place from row to row. Narrow borders around each rectangle make it very difficult to stitch at the edge if the rectangles are cut apart especially if trying to cut out the striped background. Just my humble opinion...
Old 12-17-2012, 07:11 AM

I agree with RosMadeMe- the right side of the panel was not cut properly- this happens too often when panels are cut. Some mfgrs. have a dotted line that is supposed to be the cutting line between panels.

Also has anyone noticed that panels are not as wide as they used to be. It seems necessary always to add borders on the sides.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

I'm sorry, I don't see your problem, but I do like using trapunto on the letters. Nice job.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:46 AM

I don't see anything wrong with it, looks just fine to me, quite nice actually!
Old 12-17-2012, 10:04 AM

I would cut and reframe the blocks but you could also just cut the three columns apart and them seam them together correctly. That way it would look like you reseamed them intentionally instead of to correct a problem. I'd also write a note to the vendor if you still have his card. At the very least he should apologize and replace the incorrectly cut panel.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:06 AM

Don't change a thing. It is fine just the way it is.