Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Anyone out there with Celiac Disease? >

Anyone out there with Celiac Disease?

Anyone out there with Celiac Disease?

Old 02-03-2008, 01:13 PM

http://www.csaceliacs.org/recipes.php

Here is a recipe site for celiac sprue association.

One more
http://www.celiac.com/
Old 02-05-2008, 04:47 AM

One of my best pals has Celiac Disease, as does her daughter and mother. I took it on as my own battle to give her "life after diagnosis" and was somewhat successful. Betty Hagman has a series of cookbooks dedicated to those who need gluten free foods. She even has one just for breads. Most have "Gluten Free Gourmet" in the title and are quite easy to find.

Also, there are many alternatives at health food stores for other things such as pastas, cookies, mixes for muffins, cakes, pancakes, etc. Bob's Red Mill is an outstanding source. In fact, IIRC, Hagman's books list many sources.

Hope this helps some...

M
Old 02-05-2008, 06:44 AM

:cry: OMG! :evil: I had a HUGE post written out and the site ate it. I'll try to rewrite it again later. Boy is that frustrating!!!!
~Tiffany
Old 02-05-2008, 10:54 AM

I hate it when that happens. It did that to me a few times, so then after every long response or post I always made sure to copy it..just in case! Sorry that happened to ya!
Old 02-05-2008, 11:24 PM

AND, I have an outstanding recipe I adapted for gluten free raspberry brownies, if'n you're interested!

M
Old 02-06-2008, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by MissTreated
AND, I have an outstanding recipe I adapted for gluten free raspberry brownies, if'n you're interested!

M
Yes! I'm interested. Please post it, if you don't care. :)
Old 02-06-2008, 10:18 PM

I don't have a recipe, but might have a subtitute for regular flour. Have you tried rice flour? When I read your post I remembered I still had a box of it from when I tried to make mochi cakes...it says "This flour is suitable for indivuals on wheat, rye, oat, and barley gluten-free diets". The rice flour I bought was from Koda Farms and comes in a 16oz box. Your grocery store might have it...it'd be in the Asian foods if it were. If not, there's probably someplace where you could get it...I got mine from a bigger store in a city an hour away from here. Can't remember how much they cost, but certainly not $20 dollars per pound.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:55 PM

I have a 2 and 1/2 yr old with celiacs so I totally understand where you are coming from with the bread issue!! She was dx almost a yr ago to the day. This has been my hardest thing is the bread. I can't help you but I can relate. I have a few recipes that I am going to try over the weekend if any of them are a good one I will post them here.

Cassandra
Old 02-07-2008, 04:02 PM

I am definitely interested in having this test done. I also have Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrom and my immune system is a joke. I do remember the boy in the bubble (played by John Travolta) and my husband commonly jokes that he is going to buy a bubble for me & calls me Bubble Girl. I can't even go to Walmart without some snot nosed kid making me sick. The blood test for Celiac Disease came back negative on me (which can happen) so they did a genetic test. Two parts of the test - one came back negative and one came back positive. The answer thus is inconclusive, though I have every symptom. Since the genetic test was supposed to prove it one way or the other, I can tell you I'm a bit fed up with doctors. I think most of the time they just guess at stuff and I'm tired of paying for results that are not conclusive. Yet a simple blood test is easy and I can have that done fairly soon. I'll have to let you know what the doctor says.
~Tiffany[/quote]

I would suggest you have your doctor do an endoscopsy as this is the only true way to find out if a person has celiac's. My daughter also under went all of the blood testing only for them to say that it was inconclusive and thus why they did an endoscopsy. they will take a biopsy of your intestines and if the villi are sluffed off you would be considered postive for celiac's as that is the only real proof of this disorder.

Cassandra
Old 02-07-2008, 07:05 PM

This is a good site to order gluten-free foods:

http://www.glutenfreemall.com/

I can recommend the 'Dad's Gluten-Free Pizza Crust'. It's the best I've tried.
I don't eat much bread, but the secret to good gluten-free bread is to lightly butter each side and grill it. Glutano makes a very good flax seed bread, and homemade bread would also probably be tastier if buttered and grilled. That's how I make my toast and also sandwiches.