Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flying With Sewing Machine >

Flying With Sewing Machine

Flying With Sewing Machine

Old 12-22-2012, 06:14 AM

Default Flying With Sewing Machine

I flew with a group of staff and students from Skidmore College in May/June of 2009 to South Africa. We took 6 sewing machines with us. 3 of the machines were boxed and we left them there. They were checked through with our luggage. The other three machines were in rolling cases and we used them as carry ons and did not have any problem. I can't remember what airline we flew but I believe it was connected with Delta. Hope this is helpful.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:23 AM

I would think you are better off taking it to a UPS store and letting them pack and ship it for you..they will insure it too and that way you won't have the worry and hassel..it will be in 5 days....
Old 12-22-2012, 06:46 AM

If I had to travel with a machine, I got to a packaging place and have it packed to ship, or have it be my carry on. M guessing she has not saved the original packaging with the styrofoam and all. That would probably be the best way.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:18 AM

I wouldn't put it in a soft sided case if I have to check it. It would probably be destroyed by the time you got home. Even with a hard case it could be damaged.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:22 AM

I had a friend who flew regularly with her sewing machine. She packed it in a rolling cooler, taped it with duct tape and checked it. She never had a problem.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:24 AM

I recently flew home to Long Island (October 2012) from Orlando on Southwest with my mom's 1940 Featherweight. Of course, that black box raised some 'suspicion' so I was singled out and asked to "step aside and slowly and carefully open the box" to show the security guard what I was carrying. He was thrilled to see it was an old Singer 'just like his mom used to sew on'. I did have a belt around the whole box so I would not have to put undue stress on the 70 year old handle and carried it using that extra strap. Once I was cleared through security, I was able to place the box in the overhead compartment.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Blackberry View Post
My sister is flying back to Racine Wisconsin and she is taking a 301A sewing machine with her. She will be flying on Southwest Airlines. Does anyone have any experience flying with a sewing machine. In other words, will the airlines let you put the sewing machine in the overhead compartments? Is there a problem with checking it thru the scanner? If you have to check it, is insurance available for purchase in case they damage it while loading it with other bags? Should it be marked with a fragile sign in case she has to check it? Would stuffing clothing in and around it protect it enough if it has to be checked. It will be traveling in a soft sided machine case? Lots of questions but we are looking for some help.
If the machine is in a case that qualifies size-wise as a "carry-on" there will be no problem. If it's a portable 301A (I have one), it will be okay. I put my Innovis in a carry-on bag and took it on Southwest from Vegas to Seattle and back. Had no problem with the airline - however, the TSA had to open the bag and swab it for explosive residue. Putting it in the overhead was only a problem for me because of the weight. The 301A is light enough that it should be easy to handle.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:28 AM

Miriam, that you tube video is hysterical!!! Thank you for the great belly laugh!!
Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I don't know much but here is a video about someone who flew with a guitar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo
Old 12-22-2012, 09:55 AM

I've taken my FW, but I'm not sure how big the case is for a 301. I don't think it would be a problem if it fits in the overheads. I sure wouldn't check mine, because I've watched those jokers loading and unloading luggage on the plane.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:42 AM

I would ship it instead with a reputable carrier. They also provide insurance and can give you the best advice about shipping fragile items. It may even be less expensive than paying for an extra piece of luggage!