Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Unusual quilt display >

Unusual quilt display

Unusual quilt display

Old 12-30-2012, 11:58 AM

My husband's aunt was a quilter. When she died at age 92 many of her quilts were displayed at the funeral home. I thought it was a great way to honor her talent. Her quilts were beautiful.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

What a great way to show what your friend was all about, giving to others! Will have to tell my family about this because I would like a few quilts there.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:35 PM

What a wonderful tribute.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:13 PM

Never heard of such a thing but what a great idea. I would definitely want some of the quilts I made at my funeral service.

That is also a neat idea about the funeral home using a quilt instead of a sheet or those ugly plastic bags when picking up the bodies.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:28 PM

I would surely like my quilts to be draping the pews of the church when I die. But first I want to make some quilts for the funeral directors to use when they take the body out. I think that is the best idea. And I can have something to do with that.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:16 PM

Yes, when a friend of mine passed the whole church and reception hall were draped with her quilts. One even hung out full by the choir loft. Also have an acquaintance that lost her husband unexpectedly at 32 (he was a DEA agent) and perished in the line of duty. She said planning that funeral was the hardest thing she ever did, so she has her own completely outlined and arranged. she is only 38 but said it eased her mind to know it was taken care of just in case. She has done some beautiful quilts and plans to have them displayed all over the funeral chapel. One thing she has done is she is going to have someone passout a ticket to each person who comes to the service. What people do not realize is that she has assigned numbers to the works and the person with the ticket that matches will take that quilt home with them to remember her. The more I think of it the more I think what a neat idea. Also will keep people from fighting over her quilts or having them sold at auction. At least she will know that people who value her will have her quilts. Her family already have numerous quilts from her, so they are not left out.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
My sister passed away in 2003 at 53 years old and we placed her favorite quilt over her casket. You could barely see the casket. It was wonderful but made me sob. Her daughter received the quilt afterwards. Her friends and I hurriedly made her a quilt when we found out she had cancer and had only 3 months to live. She didn't get to use it in her life, but was buried in her pajamas and slippers and the quilt we made her. We had an open viewing of her and she looked so comfy in her casket with her quilt we made her wrapped around her with love.
How wonderful and full of love. It made me cry it sounds so beautiful. What a beautiful visual image for her loved ones. That would be my choice. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:34 PM

Well, I had to get a hankie, this was such a nice thread to read. I like that idea of the quilts displayed. Families should do that for artisits, crafters, etc at a person's funeral. It is a look into the person's life.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:26 PM

A wonderful tribute to a quilter.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:08 PM

My Grandma & her sister quilted together & made several. When she passed, the last one they made was draped over her casket. I thought that was a fitting send-off....